Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2012 r2 software raid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rosway

rosway

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

I am new to the industry, but have been given a task to do.

I have a Dell server with 4 x 2TB drives

Disk 0 has the Operating system and has one partition (2TB)

From the 4 drives I need to make 2 x 4TB drives and mirror them.

Is this possible with a software raid? and if so are there any tutorials out there?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hardware Raid is the preferred raid type.  Does the server have a raid controller?

Rule of thumb for servers is you mirror the OS and raid the Data.

With 5 drives you would either do:

Raid1 for OS and Data on 3 drives in a Raid 5 array

or

Raid1 for OS and Raid1 for Data and a hot spare for both arrays.  This is the preferred configuration, given the criteria, but hot spare is done in hardware raid not software.

You would never not raid the OS since if you lose it you have most likely lost access to the data.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

Raid 10 would do what your asking, The Perc S300 (software raid) supports Raid 0,1,5 and 10. A Raid 10 would give you 1 4TB Virtual Disk that could be split into 2 x 2TB partitions. Anything over 2TB and you will need to format the partitions GPT. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

Raid 10 is the recommended raid level if you are running database servers.

I have had hot spares save my in-production-butt.  Great being able to schedule drive replacement at a off time.  Hareware raid is the way to go.

#5 rosway

rosway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

Thank you Wand3r3r and Sneakycyber,

This is an old server. It was an issue loading WS 2012r2. It is rated up to WS 2008. This server is now offsite, so I will have to go configurations remotely.

There are 4 drives in total. The OS is one of the drives (MBR).

There is a raid controller but drives over 2TB are not recognized. The available raid configurations for the hardware controller were Raid 0 and 1.

I was told to install the Windows Server OS 2012 on the server as a standard install.

The OS is on a MBR partition. If I made the 3 remaining drives GPT and set them to raid 5, would this work? would the system recognize the drive size?

This is not what I wanted (Mirror,) but I am not sure if I can take the "OS" drive plus a second 2TB drive and mirror them to the last 2 remaining drives?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

Raid 1 the OS drive in hardware.  Raid 1 the remaining two drives in hardware.  In the OS you will only see two drives, the os drive and the data drive.

If you want to live on the edge [only as good as your last full backup] you could just Raid 5 the remaining three drives in software raid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users