Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NV79 screws won´t come off/ can't dissasemble

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hihihihi

hihihihi

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hi guys,

gateway NV79C47u. Noone will still have this machine but maybe there are similar ones or other laptops with the same problem.

I used a small screw driver to try to open the laptop and the screws begin to unscrew but then they reach a point where they kind of click and go back in. I'm trying to check out my laptop to install an SSD but I won't be able to do it on my own if I can't open the bottom.

Why can't I unscrew the screws. Am I screwed?

Help bro!!!

Attached Files

Edited by hihihihi, 13 May 2016 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

Please post a close-up picture.

#3 hihihihi

hihihihi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

Please post a close-up picture.

done i attached them above

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

It's possible it's so by design, i.e. for the screws to remain on the covers even after you fully unscrew them.  It could be a design feature to prevent accidental loss of the screws.  If you look carefully at this YouTube video, you may notice that the person didn't totally removed screws before removing he covers.  Have you tried removing the covers after unscrewing all the fasteners?

Edited by Agouti, 13 May 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Yo!  Hello!  Are you still there?

#6 hihihihi

hihihihi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Agouti,

I tried loosening all the screws and no dice.

This laptop is about 5 years old.

I looked in the manual and it says nothing.

so sad :(

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

Can you pry up the panel with your finger in the notch as you loosen the screws? You may need to put a tiny amount of CA glue on the tip of the screwdriver to allow you to extract the screw

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

It takes a lot of twisting and ptying to get the screws to come loose.  I have seen them tightened to the extent of jamming.  I've backed the screws while lifting the cover, forcing the screws to back out.  Worst case, the cover gets hacked up getting in.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

Yes.  Over torquing and cross threading fasteners could be a real problem.  This issue would be solved in a minute if we had physical access to the computer.

#10 hihihihi

hihihihi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

:(. just for the record it's the same problem with all the screws.

Can you pry up the panel with your finger in the notch as you loosen the screws? You may need to put a tiny amount of CA glue on the tip of the screwdriver to allow you to extract the screw

i'm not sure what u mean by notch and also, i don't think glue would do anything as i can actually use my fingers to pull and they won't come off 

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

I think I've seen this before.  The screws are threaded)cross-threaded) into standoffs that are secured on the other side of the circuit board with a small nut and lock-tight glue.  The whole case assembly had to be removed so the nut could be held fast and the screws backed out.  The standoffs and screws with cover will need to be replaced.  A simple mistake on assembly makes a costly mistake.

#12 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

You may need to put a tiny amount of CA glue on the tip of the screwdriver to allow you to extract the screw

or use a magnet

Edited by Fascist Nation, 16 May 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#13 hihihihi

hihihihi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

I can already use my fingers to pull and twist. stronger than a magnet or glue but can't

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users