Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something keeps breaking my registry/drivers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yazzafox

Yazzafox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:47 AM

Heya!

So Friday the 13th is upon us, and my PC let me know about it.

Yesterday, I installed TeamSpeak 3 and used it while playing a newly installed game, without any issues at all. When I shut down my PC, there were updates to install as usual. Then, turning it on this morning, Everything related to my audio and video appears 'broken'. My speakers, microphone and webcam are defined as "not working properly", and don't function at all.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, I've tried updating the drivers, and I've tried a system restore to a point when I know they were working just fine.

The audio troubleshoot is giving me an error code 32, and the device manager is giving me an error code 19.

This has happened to me once before, after running a newly installed video editor. Restarting the PC gave exactly the same symptoms. On the last occasion, a system restore fixed it just fine. I'm not having so much luck this time, though.

After all the meddling I've done with the drivers, I'm resigned to suspecting something is jabbing its pen into the registry.

As a last note, my microphone is plugged into the front panel of the pc, the speakers plugged into the rear audio, and the webcam is connected via usb, so I'm assuming I can rule out hardware faults.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations you could throw my way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yazzafox

Yazzafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:48 AM

Okay, just a quick update. For some unknown reason that I can't figure out, after 4 hours of meddling, the audio troubleshooter spontaneously notified me that the drivers need to be reinstalled. It went ahead and done this at the click of a button, and mysteriously fixed the symptoms. Almost everything is working smoothly again. I'm still no wiser to the cause, so if someone could drop an idea or two into the mix, I'd be grateful.

Since the 'fix', there's been a whole bunch of new 'devices' show up in the device manager, with driver issues giving the same error code. I can't identify these devices and I'm wondering if they're somehow related to the original issue.

• Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy
  • Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy
  • Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy
  • Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter
  • Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter
  • Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers

All of these give the same error code 19.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

No firm ideas here.  I'd have to wonder about TeamSpeak, but I'm not familiar with it.
Have you tried uninstalling the Code19 devices and then rebooting to see what happens?

Beyond that, I'd post over in the hardware forums (as there hasn't been any responses to your topic here):    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

If you got some drivers from other than your hardware's manufacturer, that could explain your problem.  Registry cleaners can also cause problems that're difficult to diagnose and extremely difficult to fix.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Yazzafox

Yazzafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

Thank you for your replies. I'm grateful.

I've tried uninstalling the devices that give the error codes, and immediately rebooting. All the devices get automatically installed on startup, drivers appear to be installed, and then I get the error 32 replacing the error code 19. My research suggests that the error code 32 refers to the drivers being disabled or corrupted in the registry.

As far as I'm aware, all of my drivers are provided by their manufacturers. I'm very cautious about anything that meddles with drivers, and I never willingly allow any software to 'clean' my registry for me.

The only similarities I've seen between this time around, compared to last time, is both occasions were after installing software that uses push-to-talk mic triggers. Both times, I didn't restart the PC before attempting to use them. I honestly couldn't tell if there's anything beyond coincidence though.

As a last question on this post, what are the chances of there being a hit-and-miss hardware fault? This error affects my camera, speakers, and microphone, all of which are plugged into entirely different panels on the PC. Mic in the front jack, speakers in the rear jack, and camera is USB.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hit and miss hardware faults are unlikely - but not impossible.

In general, you look for the common denominator between them.

Since they're plugged into different panels on the PC the most common thing is the motherboard - and I'm not real sure about that (so don't replace it on my say-so).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

Usasma, a mobo fault is exactly what I was thinking!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

Unfortunately, there's no sure-fire diagnostics for motherboards.

In most cases I do this:

- run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

- then do this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users