Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32bit vs 64bit for recovery media

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:27 AM

What is the point of being 32 or 64 bit for a recovery media? Could a 32 bit ISO CD be used with a Backup Software installed as 64 bit on the OS? Or vice versa. Problems when trying to restore an image backup?

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:29 AM

Hi,

What is the point of being 32 or 64 bit for a recovery media? Could a 32 bit ISO CD be used with a Backup Software installed as 64 bit on the OS? Or vice versa. Problems when trying to restore an image backup?

For the backup/restore job the 32-bits recovery media disk can do it just fine even if the OS inside the image is 64-bits. Or vice versa.

Some backup tools include an utility to generate the Windows PE for the Recovery Media, during the process drivers from the host machine can be included to make sure the WinPE have all the needed drivers to support the hardware for a successful boot and operation.

To make this process easy if the Host is running a x64 OS the generated WinPE usually is also 64 bits and probably the backup program (not mandatory) so everything matches (OS, Drivers, Program).

Edit: There are special cases, for example a RAID Controller that only have drivers for Windows x64 or if you have a machine with Windows 8 or above with UEFI and Secure Boot enabled, it will boot only from a Windows 64 bit disk.

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 May 2016 - 03:32 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:46 AM

Great explanation! Thanks.

So I don't need to be worry. I installed the 64bit version of Paragon Backup&Recovery 2014 Free on my Windows 7 and created the recovery CD as 32-bit ISO. My image backups are saved on an external e-SATA drive.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:18 AM

So I don't need to be worry. I installed the 64bit version of Paragon Backup&Recovery 2014 Free on my Windows 7 and created the recovery CD as 32-bit ISO. My image backups are saved on an external e-SATA drive.

To be safe boot from the Recovery CD to confirm that it can access the external e-sata drive and the internal drive.

I'm not familiar with Paragon Backup&Recovery 2014 Free, don't know if it automatically add drivers if needed or if it is a manual process.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:51 AM

To be safe boot from the Recovery CD to confirm that it can access the external e-sata drive and the internal drive.

I'm not familiar with Paragon Backup&Recovery 2014 Free, don't know if it automatically add drivers if needed or if it is a manual process.

I did it few minutes ago. :thumbup2:

First I disconnected my SATA HDD (Vista) to prevent any mistakes and booted from the recovery CD, only with SSD (Windows 7) and external e-SATA drive connected. The menu appears quickly. But detecting drives takes some time. I was able to find and select my image backup on external drive. So far no problem.

I'm already using the licensed version of Paragon Partition Manager on my Vista for years now. I didn't get any problems until today, except it deletes the Windows Update History when restoring a backup.

Thanks again.

Selective boot (F12):

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:08 AM

I'm already using the licensed version of Paragon Partition Manager on my Vista for years now. I didn't get any problems until today, except it deletes the Windows Update History when restoring a backup.

Strange restoring a backup should put everything like it was before!

___
Rui

#7 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

Strange restoring a backup should put everything like it was before!

I think it has something to do with VSS and is a known behaviour. Not sure if it's a bug.

Selective boot (F12):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users