Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Goes Into Stanby As Windows Loads Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 captaind

captaind

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:55 PM

This is an odd problem, I put in a brand new jump drive into my computer. As soon as I clicked on it in the file manager my monitor went into stanby mode and I heard all of my computer fans increase speed. I removed the jump drive and restarted the computer. Now right as windows finishes loading the monitor goes into standby and I hear the computer fans increase. Everyone once in a while windows will finish loading, and as soon as I click on something, same thing happens. I can get into safe mode with no problems and work in safe mode. I have restored the computer to an earlier date, but that has not fixed it. Any ideas????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

That sounds like a hardware issue. When you put the drive in it may have interrupted or destroyed something on your motherboard. Your device may have been faulty when you brought it.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 captaind

captaind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Well I dunno about hardware because safe mode works just fine. I would think if the motherboard had a problem then it would always have a problem

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

If safe mode works fine, boot into safe mode with command prompt.

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state from before you tried to install the jump drive.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

#5 captaind

captaind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

The above did not work

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:08 AM

What make and model of jump drive is it? Is it brand new, or just new to you - perhaps purchased on ebay? Did you have any data on this jump drive at the time you put it in the computer - or was it clean out of the factory box for the first time?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 dsnub

dsnub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

If this is a totally brand new jump drive (i.e. there's no possible chance of it including virus/spyware/corrupted software) and you have anti-virus software which auto-enables itself, you might tyr turning that off and seeing if it works. I sometimes have a problem when I connect my USB drive before booting my computer. I think it may have to do with the anti-virus software attempting to scan the disk.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

If your monitor goes into standby when Windows starts and Safe Mode works, I'd guess you've messed up your video card or its drivers somehow. Go into Safe Mode and check the Device Manager to see if the drivers seem to be working properly for starters. (Press Windows Key + Pause Key to open System Properties; Click Hardware tab; Click Device Manager button.)

I can't imagine a jump drive doing so much damage, but I suppose anything's possible. Thing is, when Windows loads up, it loads your video card's drivers and bingo, down she goes. But when going into Safe Mode, you're only using VGA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users