Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot create folders with name 8e

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrlobo69

mrlobo69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

Interesting problem I stumbled onto.  I was trying to run minecraft, but the app stalled on me.  The logs gave me a file not found error.  I figured I could probably just create the root folder and try again.  Alas, windows would not allow me to create the folder 8e.  I had folders in that directory of 8d and 8f.

I decided to try an experiment to fully explain the problem.  I went into my documents folder and created a new folder.  When I renamed it to 8e, the folder dissapeared.  When I tried to create and name the folder again, windows would not let me.  It knew something was there.

I tried everything.  Folder permissions are set to not hide files.  I tried the command to unhide super hidden files, but the response was that the folder did not exist.  I tried chkdsk but my file system is fine.  I ran a virus scan and I still have this problem.

Any ideas what may be the problem?  I am out of terms to google for this.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

This is on my desktop. screenshot_45.png

#3 mrlobo69

mrlobo69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

Yes, I understand.  I tried creating the file on a work computer and had no problems creating and seeing the folder.  However, on my home machine, something is preventing me from seeing this folder.  I am seeking the cause.  I have no doubt you can create and see the folder.  Unfortunately, this does  nothing to help me other than to verify my computer is doing something out of the ordinary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users