Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC has been trying to log off and wont

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nigelm41

nigelm41

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hi all, I am new to BC and my Win7 on XP has been trying to log off and has now been doing this for 90 minutes . It is on a network and tried to get Task Mgr up to close, didn't come on. I don't know if switching off will cause serious damage or is there another way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

I'm a bit confused. Are you running a virtual machine on your windows 7 machine that is running Windows XP?

#3 nigelm41

nigelm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

I don't even know what a virtual machine is. It's Lenovo PC a year old and been OK till right now.

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

Ok so when you click on shut down what does it do?

#5 nigelm41

nigelm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Sorry,I thought my reply had posted. I dont even know what a virtual machine is, so thank you as I have at least learned something today. It's just a Lenovo year old no problems till now

#6 nigelm41

nigelm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

Sorry using my phone on the site. Just says Logging off against background and no input to click on

#7 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

If the computer won't shut down using the shut down button within the start menu then you will need to shut it down by holding the power button. As long as you have all work saved and the windows closed it shouldn't cause any problems. 

#8 nigelm41

nigelm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

No pointer either. It's just showing the processing circle so it could be jammed up somewhere!!? Am just a student when it comes to in depth IT,but really keen to get more adept.

#9 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

yeah if it's stuck then a cold shut down is your only option. So just press and hold the power button until it shuts down and then give it a minute before powering back on.

#10 nigelm41

nigelm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

OK many thanks and I will let you know what happens. Ps I also took out Landlord wired connector as I don't use wireless and that didn't stop it.

#11 nigelm41

nigelm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

Thanks HPower we seem to be up and running OK.Wont connect to my network but is on Internet. I have a wee look at my net Lan settings n we should be good. It closes n start OK. Have a great weekend n many thanks for your kind help.

#12 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

You have a good one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users