Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back ups revisited

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

I res-erected this subject because I am still trying to create a backup of my system before too much junk gets installed.

When this was discussed before there were nearly equal numbers who said they were not necessary and others who said they were.     

No real consensus and maybe there will never be. I just do not know however I believe in back ups. Initial back ups and periodic incremental as well.

There are a number of tools/programs developed by linux developers but some independant research by a few members has shown that many of those tools are not very good.

Any way I down loaded a Kaspersky rescue ISO now I need to create a potable media to run it from.

Later guys an gals back to the drawing board. lol

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

I know only about Windows, so what I offer here obviously should be adjusted to suit your OS:

Weekly or bi-monthly, make one if not two full images of OS partition and data partition onto as least one if not two usb external hard-drives.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

IMHO, the frequency that a user should back up cannot be tied to a "weekly or bi-monthy" schedule.  Each user needs to determine for himself how often he should back up.  Factors such as how the important data is to the user, how often it changes, how much data loss the user is willing to accept, etc, will play a large part in determining a suitable backup schedule.

For myself, weekly backups with Clonezilla is usually good enough.  I also sort and keep my data on separate partitions, so that I can back up my important data more frequently.

BTW, what does a Kaspersky Rescue ISO have to do with your backup plans?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Given human nature and inertia -- if we do weeklies, we are way above the national average.

I think thread starter wants to create a usb or dvd boot with portable backup/restore utility.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

With Linux, all you really need to restore your system is the "live" USB that you created it from in the first place, so "rescue" disks are IMO a waste of time.

Of course, once you've reinstalled your "new/repaired" system, you'll want to reinstate your personal files, and your "non-default" programs and settings, and as I said in your last backup topic, I use Aptik for the programs and settings, and backup my personal files manually by copying them to a detachable hard drive.

The reason for backing up personal files this way, is that the "backups" are 100% transferable to any other medium or computer. They're not tied to any particular machine, or dependant on any program to decompress and decypher them, and so can be read on any computer that you plug them into.

Also, backups made by other means have been known to fail just when you need them most (I speak from bitter experience), whereas I've always been able to count on the ones I've created manually (but I make more than one copy, to more than one device, just in case).

To ensure their security, I lock them in a safe when I'm not using or creating them.

Edited by Gary R, 12 May 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

I agree with Gary R, no need at all to back up your "system" since with Linux you can always create and keep a live USB.

I also agree with Agouti. I have a lot of personal data that I keep several copies of, at least four separate copies, some here on site and some off site. But I can't say I do it every week or every month, it just depends on how busy I've been and how much I have altered or added to my personal data. For me, a good rule of thumb is I like to back up at least after every 100 GB change, which averages about 4 times a year. My data is mostly music files and photos.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

I just looked up that Kaspersky product http://support.kaspersky.com/us/4162 and I can't see what you want that for. What do you plan on doing with it?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:54 AM

Aptick it self is not exactly a newbie type tool either. Yes I remember your post and reasons, you are also fo the school that we should not use download managers as well.

Agouti I am not shure that It will work or not. These programs have always worked for me in the past.  Granted most of my experience has been with windows but they have saved my bacon time and time again.  Perhaps no more only time will tell.

The whole purpose of the exercise is to create a portable media back up personally I really do not care which one actually works as long as at least one of them does.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

Aptick it self is not exactly a newbie type tool either. Yes I remember your post and reasons, you are also fo the school that we should not use download managers as well.

Agouti I am not shure that It will work or not. These programs have always worked for me in the past.  Granted most of my experience has been with windows but they have saved my bacon time and time again.  Perhaps no more only time will tell.

The whole purpose of the exercise is to create a portable media back up personally I really do not care which one actually works as long as at least one of them does.

Why? For what purpose?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

dannyboy, what is Aptick?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/aptick/9nblgggztvfq

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

http://www.tecmint.com/aptik-a-tool-to-backuprestore-your-favourite-ppas-and-apps-in-ubuntu/

here's a link that describes Aptik  :)

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

Thanks. I looked it up the way dannyboy spelled it and I didn't get a hit.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

dannyboy950, Kaspersky Rescue Disk is exactly what it says - it is used to "rescue" your system if it is badly infected with viruses and the like.  It may have saved your bacon in the past, but it is not imaging or backup software.

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

I agree they are not primarily designed for that purpose but can be used for it. After all what are the most common reasons for haveing to restore a system image.

Infection or system corruption are they not? Kaspersky and Norton products work real well for this and have since dos 3 or there abouts.

Actually you should remember Ghost your self.

#15 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

Kaspersky and Norton products work real well for this and have since dos 3 or there abouts.

Actually you should remember Ghost your self.

I used to love Norton Ghost, though the sector based backups never worked properly for me. The main reason I stopped using it was that they stopped making it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users