Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LG burner and windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stew1958

stew1958

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hi all,

I have an LG burner (model WH14NS40) they can use -r , +r, and double layer disks as well as the newer M-disk

it was working fine under XP, then I built a new system, i3 processor plenty of ram, (24 gig)

Now the burner keeps making coasters, though it does still reaqd disks just fine.

softwear used was at the time was Cyberlink, (the version that came with the LG burner driver, cyberlink v7 i think it is)

theen i upgraded the cyberlink to latest version, thats when the trouble began, put a single layer BR into it,

try to burn some files and it tells me ther isnt enough soace on the disk, now im no maths major but something like 14 gig is less that 25 gig

on other occasions it starts to burn and then spits out the disk saying it is a damaged or incompatable disk,

1 or 2 bad disks i could live with, bur about 1/3 of a 50 disk pack is a real pain. (Verbatim brand).

have also tried it with Nero 2015, same results.

and as if that wasnt bad enough, selectin the drive and disk in Cyberlink, when i select 25 gig,

it wants to burn an image, not the files as they are (and would have done under XP

im thinking there is som incompatabiliyt with windoes 10, little suprise there.

thanks for any help

stew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

I would try Imgburn which can burn images and files. You can opt out of any programs it offers or simply strip out the exe file from the compressed install exe file using winrar or 7 zip.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2597/burn-almost-anything-to-disc-with-imgburn/

If it makes a coaster then check the cable connections to the drive or use another serial port if available. 

Have you tried Windows 10 native burning?

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/18421-how-do-i-burn-files-cd-dvd.html

#3 stew1958

stew1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the input John,

crazy thing is, my system will burn an image, and extract it to a drive / folder as desired,

but not burn as a bleeping file.

will download Imgburn later and see how that works out, is it a freebie?

havent tried windows native burning yet.

thanks

stew

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

Yes, Imgburn is free. When you use the exe installing your Antivirus may flag it as it using Open Candy to offer promos during the install but you can opt out of any offered or you can extract the exe file as I posted. After extracting the exe file simply double click to start the program. 

Looking at the Imgburn guides you can see how much this program can do.

Another burning program you can look at is another freebie called BurnAware. I had success with it after having failed burns with Ashampoo Burning Studio. Only 8MB.

#5 stew1958

stew1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

Ta John, just dowmloaded imgburn now,

ver 2.5.8 (the latest for a guess) at 3.3 MB

from what they have in their page, it looks like it does the same

or maybe better than the pay for software

will let you know hor i get on with it

thanks

stew

Edit......

got imgburn installed, and now burning a mix of text files, image files (jpg & psd) and one video clip

burning at 2x, always prefer to burn at slow speed, less chance of error.

for a freebie it sure has a lot of settings users can set to preferance, wish i had known this 2 days back, would have saved a few disks,

know anyone who wants a few coasters ?  :)

Edited by stew1958, 12 May 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#6 stew1958

stew1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

Rats, it went through the burn stage, and then came up with the message 'faild to initialize'

anyone have an idea whats wrong?

ps it'san LG burner

Edited by stew1958, 12 May 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

From the description of your problem and using multiple programs failed to do a successful burn, I would hazard a guess it's hardware related. If this is a desktop, can you replace your SATA data cable to the DVD burner and use a different SATA port? But what is strange is the fact you can burn images successfully. 

With DVD burners being fairly cheap I would try a replacement or perhaps you know someone who would let you temporarily borrow their burner. 

Have you tried burning a CD vs DVD? Burners have two lasers, one for CD burning and the other for DVD burning. It's possible the DVD laser is going south.

Edit: Did you burn a DVD using Windows 10 native burning?

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 May 2016 - 05:11 PM.

#8 stew1958

stew1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

Hi John, t5hanks for the feedback,

yes, got another LG Bluray burner (for a new system im building)

Now things are real strange, burnt a disk of multiple FLAC files (folders within folders)

and your not gonna believe this, burn was sucsessful!, real strange.

may have been a bad batch fo disks, will know after a few more burns today.

stew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users