Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading 5 year old PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Electricfat

Electricfat

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:06 AM

Whats going on guys ? Until yesterday when I was at a friends house playing BF3 and CSGO I always played on the console. Now I really want a PC. I currently only own a laptop and he gave me his old rig. Now let me tell you something, this thing is a proper POS right now and I want to know if I should actually spend money upgrading this thing or just build a new computer all together. It's some pre-built HP and I ran a CPU-Z and here were the results. 

CPU - i3 2100 (Garbage ?) 

Motherboard - PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AB6 (Probably Garbage) 

Memory - 4GB DDR3 

Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD 6450 (Definately Garbage) 

Power Supply - Haven't Opened it up yet 

I know this is some ancient crap but is it possible to spend a couple hundred bucks or so to get this to a decent performing level  where I can play modern games ? The graphics card would definately have to go and it needs more RAM ! If it is possible to upgrade this what Graphics card would be suitable for the motherboard ? 

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:21 AM

This a is candidate for a rebuild.  It is probably going to be more cost effective over the long term to replace the motherboard, CPU, GPU, and RAM on a current platform.  You may be able to replace the CPU, depending on what that motherboard will take for an LGA 1155 processor, but many current GPU's are going to bottleneck with that dual core processor.  You may be able to play older games on that PC, though.

3939.png

#3 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

Electricfat,   You could do a tune up on the laptop without spending any money on new parts.  Load some Apache Open Office (free), load Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and perform all your Windows Updates to it.    

Go to a local college or university and ADVERTISE  IT FOR SALE.    Some college student could use it for writing term papers, websurfing, social media et al.     Sell it, put the money in your pocket for your next rig.

Take your savings and spend it on a GOOD SYSTEM RIG with a cool, air-cooled, case and power supply and all the things you want.  If you are complaining about your POS laptop already...well.. " you  cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".    However, your laptop, when cleaned up, could be useful to someone that does not Game nor need a speedy processor.  

best of luck where ever you decide to go... Try new Egg for a new rig.  New egg has promo codes too

( i don't work for them )

FREE   https://www.openoffice.org/

FREE   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Edited by TommyBoat, 12 May 2016 - 09:47 AM.

R We Good ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Well...I don't see any reason for trying to use an HP case...I would just do a more current new build that will be limited only by my choice of components.  You don't indicate just why this i3 system is a POS, in your opiniojn...I'm always curious as to what your projected new system will do...that the old system cannot do adequately.

I like the flexibiilty of having a more recent system that I put together with some thought about my needs/wants...removes that angst that my arise with any patchup approach to owning a system, IMO.

I don't game so I'm easily satisfied with my systems :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#5 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:27 PM

Depends on the games.  But yes, if you like to play the latest 3D action games at high frame rates you need more than $200.  You will need a better case for thermal control and one heck of a GPU card (at least a GTX950).  More RAM assuming that is a 64bit OS (at least 4GB).  The CPU is probably fine. 

add 8 more GB ($30):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

i5-2500 ($90):
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Sr00t/300426866%3Fgoog_pla%3D1%26gpid%3D76984044061%26gpkwd%3D%26goog_pla%3D1

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52213,52209,53422

Edited by Fascist Nation, 15 May 2016 - 10:27 PM.

#6 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

I was thinking about upgrading the PSU and dropping in a new GPU as well as upgrading the ram to 8GB or so. But I don't know too much about modifications to PCs could I just for example drop like a R9 270x with the motherboard which it is currently running now ? If not I think I will just build a new computer all together. The reason I wanted to try to modify this rig is because I have been watching those videos on youtube where they get like a prebuilt dell and modfify it it gave me hope hahaha. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users