Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two "active networks", no Internet access?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 danielsangeo

danielsangeo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

Hello, everyone!  My first post here because I'm at my wits' end and I'm hoping to get some help with a problem that no one else seems to have anywhere on the Internet (or maybe my Google-fu needs work):

Windows 10 is reporting two "active networks" in the Network and Sharing Center.  One is simply called "Network" and is a public network and the other is "Unidentified network" and is also a public network.  Both networks report "No internet access" and both are connected to the Ethernet connection.

Let me explain what I'm doing:

As my desktop computer (with Windows 10) does not have a wireless network adapter, I connected it via a CAT5 cable to my laptop (running Vista--it's an old laptop and it can barely run Vista but it suits the needs I use it for currently) which does have a wireless network adapter which is connected to the Internet via a router.  I'm posting this from the laptop so I do have Internet up to this point.

I have tried both Internet Connection Sharing and creating a network bridge and neither seem to help.  For a while, the network bridge was working and I was getting Internet to my desktop computer.  Network and Sharing Center only reported one active network--I believe it was simply "Network" of the public network variety.

After a Windows 10 update, however, this mysterious second active network appeared and now I can't get Internet to the desktop at all.  I've tried a variety of netsh commands in an elevated command prompt without success.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter without success.  I've tried flushing the DNS cache and ipconfig /release and /renew without success.

The only way I can get it working again is to roll back to a previous restore point and everything seems hunky dory for a while but when Windows 10 decides to do its update again, it's going to go back to where it is now.

How do I fix it without going back to a previous restore point?  Thanks so much everyone!

Edited by danielsangeo, 12 May 2016 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danielsangeo

danielsangeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'd like to announce that it is tentatively fixed and show the solution I used--hopefully you all can benefit as well:

1. Open services.msc
  2. Find a service called #Id_String1.6844[string of characters]
  3. Disable it and reboot the computer.

That should get rid of the phantom connection and allow you back onto the Internet.  It worked for me.  The solution was found ages ago by user LarsTornqvist in Microsoft's support forums.  It was apparently caused by Apple's Bonjour service.

So far, everything seems to be working swimmingly.  Hope this helps someone else in the future.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for this.  I'm sure it'll help others who come here looking for help with similar issues.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kbp80

kbp80

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

Hi danielsangeo,

You could try removing any sharing and/or bridging, allowing the update to complete and then try re-establishing the ICS again: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

Could you take a screenshot of this mysterious second active network connection?

#5 danielsangeo

danielsangeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

Thanks, kbp80, but I solved the problem.  I don't have a screenshot though I suppose I could re-enable the service and wait for it to happen again.  If your really want me to do that, I can.

Edited by danielsangeo, 13 May 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#6 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

Welcome dansangelo,

You should be a helpful member, you report your problems and fix them too. How do you like Windows 10? Think I am going to stick with windows 7 , like it.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#7 danielsangeo

danielsangeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

Beyond that issue with the Internet which was easily fixed, I really do not have any issues with Windows 10.  I like it and everything feels speedy and really well put together.

#8 sachintha

sachintha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

I'd like to announce that it is tentatively fixed and show the solution I used--hopefully you all can benefit as well:

1. Open services.msc
  2. Find a service called #Id_String1.6844[string of characters]
  3. Disable it and reboot the computer.

That should get rid of the phantom connection and allow you back onto the Internet.  It worked for me.  The solution was found ages ago by user LarsTornqvist in Microsoft's support forums.  It was apparently caused by Apple's Bonjour service.

So far, everything seems to be working swimmingly.  Hope this helps someone else in the future.

thank you so much bruv...I literally made an account on this site just to thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users