Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade to windows 7

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 dehoo

dehoo

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

I am thinking about upgrading t Windows 7 due to the fact that nothing is really supported any longer with xp.  Trouble is finding Windows 7 OS.  Is this still available? All I can find are sketchy internet sites stating the they are "genuine"

Is this still able to be purchased?  I like my xp machine however some programs will no longer work due to the fact that I cannot run back ground items like Java.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2016 - 09:36 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

I purchased mine from both Fry's Electronics and Altex Electronics in the Austin metro area.  Do you have such stores in your area?  I paid a Joker's Ransom for 32/64bit TrueBlue Microsoft Windows 7 Professional pack.  However, you might find a better deal now.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:11 PM

From XP to Windows 7 is quite a leap.  You may want to download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your hardware is capable of running Windows 7.

#4 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

I am thinking about upgrading t Windows 7 due to the fact that nothing is really supported any longer with xp.  Trouble is finding Windows 7 OS.  Is this still available? All I can find are sketchy internet sites stating the they are "genuine"

Is this still able to be purchased?  I like my xp machine however some programs will no longer work due to the fact that I cannot run back ground items like Java.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The current Java 8 Update 92 runs perfectly fine on XP. Java "recommends" a newer version of Windows, and earlier versions of Java 8 did not work, but that was fixed.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Quite frankly, support for Windows has never been important to me. If it runs the programs I use, that's all that matters.

java8.jpg

java8_2.jpg

IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645-8AU (Win98), T23 2647-4MU (Win2000), T41 2373-7FU (WinXP)
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

@sdfox7

Quite frankly, support for Windows has never been important to me. If it runs the programs I use, that's all that matters.

Window XP was a very good operating system when it was released.  And like you there are a lot of people who still run it on their computers.  But since it is no longer supported there are no Windows security updates and there are no versions of Internet Explorer supported which will run on XP.  Because of this XP and the unsupported versions of IE can become security risks. 

There are other browsers and antivirus programs out there that are still supported for XP, but this only goes so far.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

XP runs perfectly safe as long as it is not on the Internet. 

Those that wish to run on the Internet can harden off their installation but yes, it is a risk, but I think anyone still using XP is aware of that by now.

To answer the OP:  You can still buy OEM copies of Win7 on Newegg so there are still plenty of retailers out there.  An OEM copy expects a clean boot drive so you may have to reformat before it will install.  I buy Win7 these days from eBay because the prices are incredible with Pro cheaper than Home.  Just be aware of too good to be true. 

As was said, run the hardware check wizard. 
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613678/windows-xp-to-windows-7/?p=3997638

#7 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

@sdfox7

Window XP was a very good operating system when it was released.  And like you there are a lot of people who still run it on their computers.  But since it is no longer supported there are no Windows security updates and there are no versions of Internet Explorer supported which will run on XP.  Because of this XP and the unsupported versions of IE can become security risks. 

There are other browsers and antivirus programs out there that are still supported for XP, but this only goes so far.

I fully understand your view, and I am fully aware of the "risks" of running an unsupported system. I haven't used Internet Explorer as my main browser since Firefox launched in 2004.

Unfortunately, I am rather annoyed and alienated by the aggressive direction that Satya Nadella has taken Microsoft, going so far as to upgrade Windows 7 machines to Windows 10.

With Windows 10, Microsoft has taken choice away from the user, and has crossed a line that I do not particularly care for.

IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645-8AU (Win98), T23 2647-4MU (Win2000), T41 2373-7FU (WinXP)
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

#8 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

I agree with you , Windows, in my opinion is going thru versions too quickly. Windows XP was an excellent , version, now I have 7, which came on the computer I have now. I bought it in 2012, we have gone thru 8,8.1 and now 10. 

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

@sdfox 7

I actually didn't post this in the attempt of making you aware of the potential problems with a unsupported operating system.  You are obviously well informed and are well aware of the potential dangers.  I always think of the members here who are not well versed with this type of potential problem and post for their edification.

I have been a little disturbed by Microsoft's aggressive drive to get people with Windows 8/8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10.  I can appreciate that the fact that they are trying to redeem themselves after foisting Windows 8 on us when it wasn't truly ready for release.  But pushing for a upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 really makes me wonder what exactly do they have on their agenda.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

@dehoo

http://softwareempire.com/index.php/product-category/windows/windows-7/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16

#11 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:39 AM

@dc3, you're very right, sir! I'm one of those lurkers who're benefiting so much from your posts. Your posts have made a difference in my life. Thanks a lot and may God bless you.

#12 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!

I have run the advisor and I can run 7 without issue  and all my programs minus a few games are compatible.  In regards to Java, I run Firefox however I cannot get Java 8 to install.  I will download, it shows all the precautions and asks if I wish to continue.  I do so and nothing happens, I tried it again and it states that an install is already running.  I looked in my processes running and indeed there were two running.  I stopped all those and started over again, same issue....I went to aboutconfig and checked to see if all values are correct and they were.   I would really like to update to seven as I do require Chrome for some work access from home and I cannot download that now.....I really like my xp machine, its like an old 6 six cylinder, just keeps running.

On another note, what are your opinions on Comodo AV?

Edited by dehoo, 14 May 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

"...what are your opinions on Comodo AV?"

In the past I've used both free versions of Comodo - AV and firewall.  Then for awhile I used Comodo Internet Security, the pay-for.  Comodo worked - it worked very well!  However, apparently, accidentally, I introduced some incompatibilities within my Windows, so I had to eventually remove CIS.  If you plan on using Windows Firewall, CIS will not be necessary.  Try CAV awhile   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 14 May 2016 - 05:45 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

Why are you bothering with Java or other programs at this point.  I suggest that you wipe the hdd, install Windows 7, and then download your programs.

To wipe the hdd (overwrite it) you can use a program like Active@KillDisk.  This will completely overwrite the hdd providing you with a clean hdd to start over with. This is free.

Are you looking for a paid version of a antivirus or a free one?

#15 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

Yes, I agree that I should just wipe and install windows 7.  Just trying to find an actual disk that I can buy, final resort would be online order.

as to the AV, if I stuck with XP I would probably get a free one in the meantime.  I did try the free Avast and it did some very odd things to my computer.  I tried to do system restore  right after the install of Avast and found all the problems, however it would not let me do restore even in safe mode.  I eventually found an Avast removal tool and ran that and then did a system restore which brought it all back to normal.  With Windows 7, it should have defender?

In regards to Java, I have a Photoshop program that requires it to run full edits on images.  When I open the editor it asks me to register the product and when I click the link to register, it comes up with connection failure.  The only issue I could find was that I did not have Java installed.  I was able to install Java platform that sdfox 7 suggested however it still will not connect, perhaps this is not a Java issue.....

Thanks again for all your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users