Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bought used computer, Win7 "not genuine", Win7 product sticker on case

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

I found a  used desktop (Dell Inspiron) on a facebook sale group - only$20.

First thing I notice: "This copy of Windows is not genuine".

But it has a proof-of-license sticker on the casement. Turns out the installed Windows 7 is Ultimate and the sticker is for Home Premium. Tried anyway, but it was rejected. 

Installed = Win 7 Ultimate

Product Key = Win 7 Home Premium

I got a popup window: "You must either run Win 7 Setup or enter a Win 7 Ultimate product key".

Not knowing much about computers, I have no clue how I need to proceed. I'd really like to wind up with a genuine copy of windows, because apparently auto update will not work without it. The computer works with non-genuine copy of windows, but is extremely slow and has to be hard booted to turn off and besides, I don't want to fool with an illegal copy of Windows.  Certainly I'd rather have Ultimate but Home Premium is good enough.

But don't I have to have the disk to run windows 7 Home Pr. Setup?

Any possible options greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2016 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

You're needing to find a Windows 7 Home Premium ISO from a well-known well-respected source.  If you ever want Ultimate, you're going to have to purchase a license, either for an OEM or for a Microsoft 32/64 pack.  After you have legalized the Home Premium, you probably can purchase an upgrade [from Home Premium to Ultimate] for a pretty good price, make sure of your source!  You want a legal version of Ultimate.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 May 2016 - 08:43 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:51 PM

Lets start here....A bit more info about that $20.00 computer would be helpful. It's a Dell & it should have a Service Tag # sticker on the computer. Fairly large & easy to read usually.

Provide the exact model of your Inspiron along with the ST# in your reply.

AS to the lack of install media, you could borrow an OEM Home Premium copy from a friend possibly. You may have a friendly computer repair near by & often for the cost of a blank DVD they will burn you a copy without key.  Otherwise you'd be looking at a purchase. I have no suggestions for that. I'll let others make suggestions.

BTW: For the most part sticking with Home Premium will be a better choice. Ultimate is a bit of a resource pig.

Edited by saw101, 11 May 2016 - 08:54 PM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:10 PM

If you call dell they should be able to send you out a machine specific Windows install disk with the drivers and everything ready to go. Sometimes for a nominal fee.

Failing that, just install Linux Mint. It's dead easy to use and comes with all the programs you want already installed. It's a great choice, my little kids and my old parents use it. Free and much more secure than Windows also.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:03 PM

@Old_Feller, it's close to my bedtime hour but if you wait, I will post instructions in the morning for you to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium.  In the meantime, please post the exact make and model of the computer in your next reply.

#6 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:09 AM

Agouti

Thank you. And thanks to everybody else that has contributed too.

The computer is

Dell Inspiron.

Service Tag 7Z1TRL1.

Express Service Code: 17356860901

Mfg date: 20100506  

(j5d2)

There is nothing else on the outside of the case.

I will be back online at some point after noon tomorrow. I cannot be more precise at this time.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

First of all, I should point out that you have the option to follow TsVk!'s suggestion to request a Windows install disc from Dell.  An installation disc from the manufacturer will include all the required drivers for your system, however, the installation disc will also restore all the manufacturer's bloatware.  If you follow the instructions below instead, you will end up with a Windows installation minus the bloatware.  Be aware of what your options are.

1.  Follow the instructions in this article to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench.  Specifically, scroll down to the section in the article headed “Download Windows 7/8.1 from The Windows 10 Download Page” and follow the instructions there.  You would be downloading the ISO from Microsoft, so you can be assured it's genuine.

2.  Make sure you download the ISO which matches your Windows 7 version.  In your case, I believe you want Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bitNote: There is no telling when this workaround may stop working, so you should act quickly.

3.  After you have downloaded the ISO, scroll down the same article to the section headed “Verify The SHA1 Checksum of Your Windows ISO”.  Locate the SHA1 hash that matches your Windows version then copy it to the clipboard.  In your case, the SHA1 hash for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit is 6C9058389C1E2E5122B7C933275F963EDF1C07B9.

4.  Download the portable version of Hasher Lite and start the program.  Check the box next to SHA1.  Drag and drop the ISO from an Explorer window to the Hasher Lite window.  Hasher Lite will calculate the SHA1 hash.  Click the Scale icon to compare the hash to the one that you copied to the clipboard in the previous step.  If the hash matches, a window will be displayed with a large green check mark.

5.  Next, follow this article to make a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive with Rufus.  If you have a computer with Windows 7 or above and you want to burn a DVD instead, follow this article to do so.

6.  Insert the prepared flash drive or DVD into the target computer and reboot.

7.  Follow the prompts to install Windows on the new hard drive.  You may need go into the BIOS to change the boot order if the computer does not boot from the USB drive or DVD.

8.  Go to the Dell Support page for your computer and download the drivers for your computer.  I would suggest you use the “Urgent” filter to download the most important drivers.  Install your drivers starting with the chipset driver.  You can always return to the Dell Support page if you happen to miss a required driver.

9.  If you wish, you can now delete both Hasher Lite and Rufus and their associated files.  No need to uninstall.

Let me know how it goes.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

Agouti, you are super-thorough, man!  I am going to learn a lot OS material from you.   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 12 May 2016 - 12:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

Old_Feller

You posted that this is a Dell Inspiron, but not what the specific model is.  Example:  Dell Inspiron 15.

Windows 7 was released about the time that manufacturers stopped shipping a Windows installation disc with their computer.  Instead they loaded a separate partition called the System Recovery Partition.  This could be used to format the partition with the operating system installed on it and then reinstall the version of Windows which it was shipped with and all of the needed drivers.  This basically reverts the operating system to the condition it was in when it was new.  So there is a possibility that your Dell has that partition.  This is a much faster and easier way to get Windows Home Premium back on this computer.

Let's see if this partition is still there.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then copy and paste diskmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.

If the recovery partition is still there it will look like the image outlined in red below.

snipping%20tool_zpsj0q9vv7x.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

Arachibutyrophobia

I included all the information that is on the mfg tag. Is there somewhere else I should look?

On this window that opened when I was trying to input the key, it says 

Processor: Pentium R Duel Core CPU E5500 @2.80 GHz
Installed memory (RAM):   6.0 GB (3.21 GB usable)
System Type:   32 bit operating system
Pen & Touch:    No pen and touch available for this display

Agouti I guess that means, if I go with your directions, rather than "64" I'd select "32".... 

Yes, Arachibutyrophobia It seems to be there:

Recovery (D:) 13.67 GB NTFS  Healthy (Primary Partition)

OS Disk (C:) 684.96 GB NTFS   Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

13.67 GB.... Does that seem too small?

What do I do next? Click it and follow instructions? Thanks!

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

Yes, select 32-bit.  And yes, dc3 is right.  You appear to have a healthy recovery partition which you can restore from.  13.87GB looks fine for a 32-bit system.  Follow the instructions in this article to restore to factory condition.

#12 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:02 PM

I'm getting weird popup windows.....problems problems problems

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-image your computer

Windows cannot find a system image on this computer.

Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD and click RETRY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re image your comuter

[ ]   Use the latest available system image (recommended)

Location__________________(empty text boxes)

Date and time________________

Computer_________________

(all of the text in the above 4 lines is light grey and there is no response when i try to click on it, as if deactivated)

[/] Select a system image (defaulted to this. it is checked and in darker print)

the next few steps takes me into a window where I can choose to open "D:".  When I do, it says "This folder is empty".

I find myself in a state of befuddlement. What to do next?

#13 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:34 PM

Not being able to provide your model number:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN298441

Might as well grab your service tag while there as you will need it for TS.

How do I request for Recovery Media of Microsoft Windows Operating System?

https://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/124442/EN#Request_Media

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup

While waiting in between Dell pages to open, I just noticed the fine folks at Get Into PC just loaded a special request ISO for me a couple of days ago.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 12 May 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#14 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

....1.  Follow the instructions in this arrticle toUn download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench.  ...

Old_Feller, unfortunately, it only works with "Retail" keys, not OEM although I just tested it with an Upgrade key and it worked; though my two choices of language were French or Korean lol.  That was not the case with the same key a year ago when it didn't do anything.  So let us know how it works out, but I suspect the product key on the case will not work to download the ISO.  If you can find someone with a (can be bit specific) Win7 Home Premium disk, any other than a big box Recovery Disk, it will work with that key on your case.

Important Note: This page has a massive problem because it only accepts retail license keys which you get only when purchasing a full boxed copy of Windows 7. If your computer is pre built from a manufacturer such as Dell or HP your key will be of the OEM type which cannot be used, the same also applies to volume licenses and system builder OEM versions. This restriction excludes most Windows 7 users from downloading an ISO image from the only official source available.  Read More: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/

Edited by Fascist Nation, 12 May 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

....1.  Follow the instructions in this arrticle toUn download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench.  ...

Old_Feller, unfortunately, it only works with "Retail" keys, not OEM...

That's because you didn't follow my instructions closely.  If you had taken the time to read on you'll see I wrote...

Specifically, scroll down to the section in the article headed “Download Windows 7/8.1 from The Windows 10 Download Page” and follow the instructions there.

Also, I would not encourage anyone to download Windows ISOs from Get Into PC.  They are not authorized distributors of Windows ISOs and one cannot be assured of the integrity of the ISO.

Edited by Agouti, 12 May 2016 - 08:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users