Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going Back To Windows 7 Help?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

i upgraded to windows 10 months ago, i no longer have the option to revert back to a previous OS/windows 7 in my recovery options, what is the easiest way to get windows 7 back without losing all my files/documents?.....i realize i can reformat, but dont want to lose everything

Edited by mikey11, 11 May 2016 - 06:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

I believe the only alternative you have is to back up all your personal data and reinstall Windows 7.  Do you see another way?

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

If you lack install media, you may be able to purchase recovery disc from the computer manufacturer's website for the OS previously installed. You would still need to backup all your files first.

Edited by saw101, 11 May 2016 - 09:11 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

I believe the only alternative you have is to back up all your personal data and reinstall Windows 7.  Do you see another way?

is it best to just do a backup, using the windows backup utility? or is it better to use the windows easy transfer program?

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

I have never used Windows backup utility or easy transfer, so I can't comment on either.  My choice would be Macrium Reflect Free because I am familiar with the program and I have confidence in it.  For that matter, you can back up your personal data by simply copying it to an external medium.

BTW, if you can't put your hands on a Window 7 installation disc, I just wrote a post on how to do so.  You should be able to follow the post easily, substituting the details that are specific to your computer wherever needed.

#6 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

thanks for that, im just looking for a simple way to transfer everything, normally i use windows easy transfer, but im not sure that is available on windows 10 or would work going from windows 10 back to windows 7

i have the windows 7 install software so that is not an issue

Edited by mikey11, 12 May 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

As Agouti indicated, Macrium Reflect is your best option.  MR can clone, do full images, and Pro version for sure will do folders/files copy --- all upon external media.  Somebody said elsewhere that MR free can do folders/files copy, it's simply undocumented.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

Here's the Microsoft FAQ on going back after 30 days:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq .  The key comments as I read them is this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• If your PC manufacturer provided the option, you might be able to restore your device to factory settings.

• If options to go back and restore factory settings aren’t available, you can use installation media and a product key to install a previous version of Windows.

For more info and requirements, see the go back to a previous version of Windows section of Recovery options in Windows 10.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 12 May 2016 - 02:41 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

i upgraded to windows 10 months ago,... what is the easiest way to get windows 7 back without losing all my files/documents?....

Why restore your drive from the backup image you made before upgrading to Win10 of course.

No, well that ain't good.  Not sure Easy Transfer works with Win10 or if it does it is will go backwards.  Cant hrt to try...it will save user settings and app settings and transfer data to a backup drive.  You should still make an image before trying anything however.

The problem with Macrium Reflect is restoring individual files and folders is in the paid product or pay if Roland is wrong because MR will access files and folders of a MR Free image using the paid version (I've done that).  So, better to use Aomei.

Might want to make a survey of installed apps using Belarc Advisor and WinAudit.

Once you have your data and any product keys from apps and disassociated any copy protected apps from their server (iTunes, Macrium Reflect paid....) you can begin.

Then when ready it is Win7 install time.  As was said if this is a big box PC can do it from recovery partition on boot drive, if not then from Win7 disk.   Hopefully the product key will work.  Also you may have to reset Secure Boot off in BIOS and Legacy support for UEFI on immediately before the Win7 install attempt.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 12 May 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#10 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:51 AM

Please refer to this article, it had introduced several methods about how to go back to Windows 7 from Windows 10 after 30 days :

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-after-month-3631059/

#11 Vijaye

Vijaye

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:58 AM

Perform a clean install of Windows 10 since won't see the option to go back, back up any information you currently have on your PC that you want to keep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users