Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Outline Remains Even Though Window Is Closed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

Last, previously closed window outline remains displayed. Sometimes can 'force' it to go away by left clicking on an unused portion of desktop but not always.
59871d1453356715t-window-outline-remains
Just got laptop for Christmas and has always had this problem so might be a setting.

Have looked at Advanced -> Visual Settings but didn't see any that looked like would fix (tried setting Best Performance - which turned everything off but didn't fix)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kbp80

kbp80

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

Hi RAPHelp,

I can't quite tell from the screenshot but you may have accidentally pressed the key combination for the Narrator app which leaves that style of border on the screen around the last selected window whether it is closed or not. The Narrator app has an icon of a PC monitor with a speech bubble. You could check your taskbar and/or Task Manager (Narrator.exe) and close/exit the app if present. 

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

Is that NTREGOPT shortcut I see on your desktop?  I don't think NTREGOPT is compatible with Windows 10.

#4 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

NTREGOPT (part of eruNT package) works perfectly for me under w10 x64. Just remember to run it with admin privileges. Other than that compacting the registry is seldom needed nowadays. You will gain 1-5% at most.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info eLPuSHeR.  And agree that compacting the registry doesn't serve much purpose.

#6 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Thank you all  for the responses:yes, NTREGOPT is part of eruNT package ... I had used ERUNT to copy/bkup registry on Win 7 and had downloaded the whole pgk for later use.

kbp80: thanks for sending me in the possibly right direction. The Narrator app is not running but the stmnt "Narrator app which leaves that style of border on the screen" certainly sounds promising. I'll follow that trail.

My main PC is my desktop ... which I haven't upgraded to Win 10 but plan to  soon. My laptop  is my 'test' machine that i'm using to get familiar with Win 10

#7 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

Turning  off narrator, plus setting closed captions background transparency and windows transparency both to transparent seems to have worked. The Narrator seems to be a windows 8 'thing' but having skipped 8, I'm not famaliar.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users