Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcgranny

pcgranny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

I bought my PC about three years ago from a home shopping network, everything has been going fine till about a month ago. I started my PC and I got a popup at my log in screen for windows that told me that my copy of windows XP is not genuine, this does not make sense since I have been getting windows updates the entire time I have had my PC. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hi ... First thing I would do is try to get a hold of shopping tv place and see what they tell you and whether if they will help .... I seen this from other source

This will tell you if your Windows XP is legal or not.

Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
Filename = WGADiag2.exe

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

If it shows anything other than Genuine it is illegal as far as Microsoft is concerned and it might just be but if you get that it is illegal follow the next step

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...7-25WGA1PR.mspx

HIH

Edited by snooker, 07 August 2006 - 02:42 PM.

#3 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

One thing that you could try would be try www.microsoft.com/genuine and then click on validate windows. If that will not go through then you will probley have to get the genuine advantage kit which is just a new product key and will give you the site to update the key without having to reinstall the OS or run a repair. If you go the new key route then to update the key just go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/...structions.aspx and follow the instructions.

Good luck

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:20 PM

You would contact the manufacturer of the computer - not Home Shopping Network (unless you wanted them to replace the computer or issue a refund).

If it was a brand name computer there is no way that Windows wasn't genuine when you got it. Did you have someone "upgrade" it or did it come with XP installed when you got it? Have you ever had Windows reloaded by a repair shop at any time while you have owned it?

I would suggest you call the telephone number (toll free) that the screen you use to authenticate Windows gives you.

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/activate Windows and choose the telephone method which should give you a phone number to call or click the "Get Genuine Now" option on the popup that is telling you your installation of XP is not genuine.

You will need your Windows 25 digit key number, the model and serial number as well as the name of the computer's manufacturer to give to the activation tech. The key number should be on a sticker on the outside of the computer case.

If it is not there, download Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com which will provide the Windows key to you.

Good luck.

#5 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

Actually there is quite a few cases of "brand name" computers that are not genuine which is where the website that i had mentioned before will come in handy. Also if a tech shop has installed or reinstalled the operating system i will almost guarantee that it will not be genuine. If that is the case then call microsoft at 1-866-234-6020 and explain the situation. You may get someone that is understanding and be able to generate a new key. If not then the only other option will be to get the genuine advantage kit which is just another way of saying a retail copy with a new key. Either way you can use the product key update tool to make the copy genuine so that you donot have to reinstall and cause alot of time and headache of backing up and reinstalling

#6 pcgranny

pcgranny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

Thank u for all your help

#7 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

my old computer was like that. i would get the updates and then i couldnt get the genunine stuff from the website. maybe they bought a corporate license of xp? id definately check into it since you paid that money for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users