Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing a printer between two computers on different networks.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 magnum242

magnum242

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

I have two computers on different domains and the I want both of them to print to a printer on the desk. Is it possible to connect one pc via USB to print locally and the other pc to print via the other network (printer would be configured to that network)?

Edited by magnum242, 11 May 2016 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

I know some others have done that, I think you have to have the printer spooler working so that print jobs wait their turn and not step on a current job in progress.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Yes it is possible.

If this is going to be a long term requirement you might consider designing the network with VLANs and placing shared printers in a VLAN both domains are able to communicate with.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

packetanalyzer, would a plain-jane print server be helpful?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 magnum242

magnum242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

packetanalyzer, would a plain-jane print server be helpful?

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

I'm just looking at if it is possible with the current setup before making additions.

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

would a plain-jane print server be helpful?

So long as computers on both domains are able to communicate with the network the print server is connected to.

My concern is if you have two domains are they on the same network or different networks? For DHCP reasons it would make sense that the two domains would be on different networks.

So if domainA is 192.168.50.0/24 and domainB is 192.168.100.0/24 is their a route such that a print server using 192.168.50.20 is accessible from both 192.168.50.0/24 and 192.168.100.0/24?

If there is a requirement for domainA and domainB to be separated then it might be a good idea to have domainA on VLAN200 and domainB on VLAN300 with printers in VLAN0.

domainA and domainB would both be able to access the printer using that configuration.

To magnum242's question, just plug the printer into one computer using USB and plug the printer into a switch on the other network. I don't see why that would be a problem. One computer will use USB for the connection and the other computer will use IPv4 for the connection. Both can communicate with the printer properly. If domainA and domainB are setup so that they can communicate with each other, why not plug the printer into the network and install the printer by IP address on all computers that need to access it from each network.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 11 May 2016 - 01:57 PM.

#7 magnum242

magnum242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

Domain A and Domain B are not set up to communicate with each other at the moment, hence the question.

#8 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

In that case, I would recommend using the USB cable for one computer and the network cable for the other computer. Otherwise, I would suggest you consider configuring VLANs for the domains so that printers are accessible from both domains.

#9 magnum242

magnum242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

In that case, I would recommend using the USB cable for one computer and the network cable for the other computer. Otherwise, I would suggest you consider configuring VLANs for the domains so that printers are accessible from both domains.

Thanks for the clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users