Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Suddenly started BSOD, can't boot any more

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 budphotog

budphotog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

I've got a Toshiba Satellite p55w-b5112 laptop running Windows 10 that has "out of the blue" started crashing with a BSOD. (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)

For a while it wouldn't even boot, it would crash before fully booting, and I suspected a virus infection, so I downloaded the BitDefender Rescue CD. Somehow through a train of crashes, it booted into Windows, instead of the LiveCD and actually stayed running! However, the keyboard and touchpad wouldn't work. Device Manager showed that there was a driver problem with the keyboard. I tried telling Windows Update to find a new driver for it, but it claims that it was up to date. Downloaded MBAM and ran it which found 6 PUP, but nothing serious. (I told it to quarantine them, just in case). I then ran sfc.exe /scannow, which ran all the way through, and completed with no errors. Finally, I made a system image with Macrium Reflect so that if it won't boot again, at least the files on the HDD will be saved. Then I uninstalled the keyboard driver and shut down.

[In the meantime, Windows Update installed the 2 updates that were released yesterday]

Now, I tried to restart it, and it's just crashing with a BSOD again before it will finish booting. I tried booting a Windows 10 DVD and running the "Repair" but it BSOD again while trying to do that. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? At first I thought it was a virus/software/driver problem, but if it can't even boot from a DVD, I don't know what to say!

(I'm attempting to retrieve the BSOD minidump from the backup right now, I'll post it if I can find it.)

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:58 AM

Start with these free bootable diagnostics: 

Most laptops w/UEFI won't even show a CD/DVD at boot time unless it's UEFI compatible (try MemTest86 from here:  http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm ).  NOTE:  MemTest86 is UEFI compliant, MemTest86+ is not)

With newer laptops (UEFI) you may have to fiddle with the settings in the BIOS (Secure Boot and CSM/legacy mode) in order to run the HDD diags

MemTest 86 (not 86+) will boot to UEFI automatically

The antivirus tests will vary based upon the methods used (but I'm not as concerned with these as you were able to do some scans previously).

Minidumps are located in C:\Windows\Minidump

They'll have a date/time for the filename - and will end in .dmp

Can you get into Safe Mode?

If you can reach the Startup Repair screen, you can use the Troubleshoot option to find the Safe Mode entry.

See if you can do that.

If you're able to get into Safe Mode, then try a "clean" boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 budphotog

budphotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply! I didn't ever get another chance to work on it! :( The computer was under warranty, so it was taken in to be serviced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users