Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft's killing Windows 10's controversial Wi-Fi Sense password sharing feat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Sometimes even good ideas just don’t work out in the real world, and to that end, Microsoft recently announced it’s killing Wi-Fi Sense in Windows 10. In fact, the latest Windows preview build for PCs, build 14342, already removed the feature from Windows Insiders' computers.

Wi-Fi Sense is a controversial Wi-Fi password sharing feature Microsoft added to the original release of Windows 10. The idea was simple enough: click a check box and the passwords for Wi-Fi networks saved to your PC would be seamlessly shared with your friends on Skype, Facebook, and your Outlook.com contacts. That way, your pals' PCs would automatically log into Wi-Fi networks you've already visited and logged into. The feature did not work with enterprise machines or with select workplace Wi-Fi network types.

But the feature created concerns and anxiety among users and critics. Most of those feelings were a little misplaced—you can read our Wi-Fi Sense primer for more details—but many users were understandably concerned about sending their Wi-Fi passwords(even in encrypted form) to Microsoft’s cloud.

Article

Build 14342 also allows installation of addons to Edge through the Windows Store.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2016 - 09:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

Thank the universe!  I thought this was a pretty stupid idea to begin with.  Maybe I just did not see anything good coming from this.  Why in the world would you want to share your password in this fashion, this just spells disaster to me.  Is it really that big of a deal to have someone come over and give them the password then?  I know I would not another way for someone to steal my network password...

utl8q0-5.png

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

Adblock Plus - hot DAWG!  Installed & working here.  But why do we have to get it from the App Store?  I just got 14342 installed, no problems so far with a teensy little bit of testing.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Adblock Plus - hot DAWG!  Installed & working here.  But why do we have to get it from the App Store?  I just got 14342 installed, no problems so far with a teensy little bit of testing.

To which I respond, "Why not?"  Every browser I currently use regularly (Chrome and Firefox) has its own equivalent of "the App Store" and that's where the vast majority of add-ons are obtained.

Even though some malicious stuff has occasionally slipped by, I quite like at least some vetting by the browser's producer before an add-on is "blessed" for inclusion.  On the other previously mentioned browsers "blessed" doesn't mean that the purpose of said add-on/extension is approved of, but that the code passes at least some basic "sniff testing" before being approved for installation.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

To which I respond, "Why not?"  Every browser I currently use regularly (Chrome and Firefox) has its own equivalent of "the App Store" and that's where the vast majority of add-ons are obtained.

Even though some malicious stuff has occasionally slipped by, I quite like at least some vetting by the browser's producer before an add-on is "blessed" for inclusion.  On the other previously mentioned browsers "blessed" doesn't mean that the purpose of said add-on/extension is approved of, but that the code passes at least some basic "sniff testing" before being approved for installation.

+1  :thumbsup: I would never install an extension or add-on if not from the browser's own dedicated site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users