Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why no more free word processor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

I am aware of the likes of Abiword, Libreoffice etc. What I am asking is why dont computers come with a free version of MS Word generally? In addition to this, you pay more for multiple PCs and more again for business use.

Recently tried getting a new laptop from PC World despite poor experience with the shop (their products seem fine). I tried to explain that the person who wanted a computer required a word processor. The salesman just said it would require £60 per year or a £120 one off payment, which is ridiculous price. He also was only interested in trying to sell him other BS such as Mcafe antivirus subscription. Its not even that good an AV from what I heard, plus the free AVs out there seem adequate for home use in my experience.

As a result we didnt end up buying a computer in PC world, but ended up at an independent store that refurbishes computers. Ended up with a computer with win 7 and Microsoft Office Starter, which isnt available on the newer OSes AFAIK. Plus a computer with a genuinely fresh installation, no free trial crapware that comes on computers purchased at PC world.

You would think that if you buy a computer it would come with basics like this without having to pay even more. Why does a word processor require a subscription? How long will it be before we will end up having to pay annually just for the OS and its associated updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

To answer your question, I don't find anything wrong with Microsoft charging for MS Office.  A lot of development has gone into it and it's Microsoft's prerogative if they want to charge for it.  As you pointed out, there are free alternatives you can use such as AbiWord and LibreOffice if you don't want to pay.

#3 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

I am aware of the likes of Abiword, Libreoffice etc. What I am asking is why dont computers come with a free version of MS Word generally? In addition to this, you pay more for multiple PCs and more again for business use.

Recently tried getting a new laptop from PC World despite poor experience with the shop (their products seem fine). I tried to explain that the person who wanted a computer required a word processor. The salesman just said it would require £60 per year or a £120 one off payment, which is ridiculous price. He also was only interested in trying to sell him other BS such as Mcafe antivirus subscription. Its not even that good an AV from what I heard, plus the free AVs out there seem adequate for home use in my experience.

As a result we didnt end up buying a computer in PC world, but ended up at an independent store that refurbishes computers. Ended up with a computer with win 7 and Microsoft Office Starter, which isnt available on the newer OSes AFAIK. Plus a computer with a genuinely fresh installation, no free trial crapware that comes on computers purchased at PC world.

You would think that if you buy a computer it would come with basics like this without having to pay even more. Why does a word processor require a subscription? How long will it be before we will end up having to pay annually just for the OS and its associated updates?

they do come with a free wordprocesser, 2 infact notepad and wordpad

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

. . . Abiword, Libreoffice etc. . .  why dont computers come with a free version of MS Word . . . 

. . . laptop from PC World . . . tried to explain that the . . .  computer required a word processor . . . it would require £60 per year or a £120 one off payment . . . 

. . . ended up at . . . store that refurbishes computers . . . a computer with win 7 and Microsoft Office Starter . . . isnt available on the newer . . . 

. . . think that if you buy a computer it would come with basics . . . How long . . . before we . . . pay annually just for the OS and its . . . updates?

@ The-Administrator

Interesting choice of user name.

Abiword and LibreOffice are not free software.  They are Open Source.  You have the right to use them, but you can not own them.  The same way you have the right to read a novel, but you cannot own the story.

There is a reason that Abiword or LibreOffice are not installed by many computer shops.

Open Source software is generally not intended for the OEM market.  The user must agree to the license terms, as outlined in the Open Source License Agreement.  By "Pre-Installing" the software, the vendor has bypassed this agreement on behalf of the end user.  Technically, that is not supposed to happen.

In the case of complete installations of Open Source OS's, such as Linux distributions, you agree to a "Blanket" license at the beginning of the install.

Microsoft has always been very Anti-Open Source.  From day one, Bill has always believed that software creators should be paid for their work.  There will never be a "Free" version of MS-Word.

You will also find that licensed Microsoft Refurbishers will never install MS-Office Starter, as that software has been discontinued by MS, and is no longer available from them.  Installing it would be a violation of the terms of service that authorised refurbishers have to agree to, in order to install Windows on their systems.

As for not liking the product offered by Microsoft or it's authorised sellers, there are two other options.  Apple or Open Source.

Personally, I have been using Open Source for over 15 years.

Cheers!

Naught McNoone

Edited by Naught McNoone, 28 June 2016 - 11:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users