Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dphenry157

dphenry157

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

How do I made the upgrade?  I want to still continue to use Google Chrome as my search engine.

TY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

There is no way to upgrade XP, simply must clean out everything and then reformat and install Windows 7. But You must know, will it work in there,  maybe is so old machine, that isn't possible. If You want Win x86, You must have at least 3GB RAM, if x64, then is better if is 4GB, but the CPU is good, if it is at least 2.1GHz, if You have something like 1.66GHz, it will work, but is very slow. (If fr is 1.66GHz, it is three times slower, then 2.1GHz)

#3 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

Thank you very much!

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

The first step is to download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer can run Windows 7.

#5 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

Thank you very much!

#6 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

Two other preps:  Check any peripherals like printers, scanners to see if their download site includes Win7 (or Vista) drivers for their product.  And check if their support apps (if you use them) were made for Win7 (Vista).

If you have a second storage drive transfer your user settings and app data to it using run Easy Transfer wizard.  Then restore them once in Win7.  And of course backup the drive image and any data you wish to preserve before clean installing Win7.  Be sure to get any product keys jotted down form apps and transfer any server protected copy protection off of apps (like paid version of Macrium Reflect) before the change.

I also recommend considering as part of the prep, updating the BIOS to the last revision issued.  Consider increasing RAM to 3-4 GB if 32bit, and 8GB if 64-bit and your PC supports it.  Check for any firmware updates on hard drives, SSDs or optical drives.  Occasionally firmware updates were issued on peripherals as well.

I would disconnect any hard drives except the boot drive for the install.  Unplug any peripherals.  And if the drive is at least 5 years old consider doing a long format on the drive as part of the installation.  Takes several hours but will completely write test the surface, but it will make recovery of anything on the drive from the XP installation impossible.  Unless you are running a second OS or data partition on that drive, I would collapse all partitions on the drive, and create a single partition followed by a format before proceeding with the installation---this is offered at the beginning of the install.

Don't forget to change your BIOS Menu setting from 'IDE emulation' to AHCI immediately before installing Win7 if you have SATA drives to get the speed benefits.

If you go looking for eBay copies of Win7 check out Pro versions as I currently find them actually cheaper than Home!

Be sure to backup emails, bookmarks, PIM managers, etc....

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/28712-tutorial-quick-reference-list-installing-windows-7-a.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials

http://ninite.com/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/personalize

Edited by Fascist Nation, 12 May 2016 - 04:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users