Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Turning Off While Playing Games

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hi Everyone,

The title says it all: while playing gamies the monitor tells me that it is not receiving any input and switches off, the pc however continues on and I can hear the sounds of the game; when this happens there's nothing left to do besides forcing the pc off and rebooting it again; the funny thing about it is that it's happening even with low demanding (graphical) games; I played before Fallout 4 and I can play any game, even the demandig ones, and such a thing has never happened before. 

I've done a couple of measurements (CPUID HDMonitor) and the temperature seems to be ok: idle 51-55 C and after doing the 3D Mark it rose to 85 C (not bad for an old card right?)

I don't know what to do and I'm at lost here; can anyone help me resolve my problem or at least point me to the culprit? I thank you in advance.

Regards,

Francisco.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

What model and wattage power supply do you have?

#3 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

This is going to sound stupid: model of what and where can I see the wattage power that I have? :blush:

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

Just by opening the case and reading the information off of it. FYI: It's best to turn off the computer before opening it and trying to get the information off the power supply.

Below is what a power supply will look like.

standard-psu-100021930-gallery.jpg

Edited by Humannpower, 11 May 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#5 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Hi there again,

The make is: be quiet system power

model: BQT S6-SYS-UA-700W

max power: 700W

In case you want to look more in the detail I'm pasting a link to the model: http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/291 

#6 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

Ok so a couple of things to try here. First make sure the drivers are up to date for your video card. If this started after an update then uninstall the current drivers and install them again after rebooting. If the issue continues to occur after that than I would recommend reseating the Video card along with the power cables on the video card as well. When reseating I recommend blowing out the PCI and power slots with canned air to remove any dust and debris. If the issue continues after that then try a different PCI slot on your motherboard if you have one; unable to determine what motherboard you have from the DxDiag you attached. If there is no slot available or if the issue continues than you may be looking at a bad video card or a bad power supply which I don't think is the problem but still a possibility. I would however recommend getting a better power supply like an 800W due to your system requiring around 600W to run and generally you want to get a power supply that's 30% more than what you need. 

#7 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

+3.3V - 35 A
+5V - 30 A
+12V1 - 18 A
+12V2 - 18 A
+12V3 - 18 A
+12V4 - 18 A
-12V - 0.5 A
+5VSB - 3 A

Am I missing it or do we have the make and model of GPU?  And if it has been overclocked to what frequency?

18A per rail means 216W.  Assuming the GPU is solely on one rail there are certainly some high end cards, especially overclocked that can exceed this.  Assuming the PSU is actually hitting 18A output and at what temp the output is measured (not stated that I see)?

Of course the combined amps above over 1,100W so color me skeptical in BeQuiet's veracity.  Although I had to get the numbers somewhere else because they weren on BeQuiet's specs so maybe the third party got it wrong.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90348839/be-quiet-system-power-s6-sys-ua-700w.asp#!

6-7 year old?!

edit: Bingo, I noticed the dxdiag.txt file.  GeForce GTX 570  219W max. graphics power so indeed can be a serious issue at high stress.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 11 May 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#8 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

+3.3V - 35 A
+5V - 30 A
+12V1 - 18 A
+12V2 - 18 A
+12V3 - 18 A
+12V4 - 18 A
-12V - 0.5 A
+5VSB - 3 A

Am I missing it or do we have the make and model of GPU?  And if it has been overclocked to what frequency?

18A per rail means 216W.  Assuming the GPU is solely on one rail there are certainly some high end cards, especially overclocked that can exceed this.  Assuming the PSU is actually hitting 18A output and at what temp the output is measured (not stated that I see)?

Of course the combined amps above over 1,100W so color me skeptical in BeQuiet's veracity.

IT's in the DxDiag.txt in first post.

#9 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

+3.3V - 35 A
+5V - 30 A
+12V1 - 18 A
+12V2 - 18 A
+12V3 - 18 A
+12V4 - 18 A
-12V - 0.5 A
+5VSB - 3 A

Of course the combined amps above over 1,100W so color me skeptical in BeQuiet's veracity.  Although I had to get the numbers somewhere else because they weren on BeQuiet's specs so maybe the third party got it wrong.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90348839/be-quiet-system-power-s6-sys-ua-700w.asp#!

6-7 year old?!

edit: Bingo, I noticed the dxdiag.txt file.  GeForce GTX 570  219W max. graphics power so indeed can be a serious issue at high stress.

Ooh hold on there! so what are you sayin'? who's the culprit, the psu or the gpu?  what should I do?

#10 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:22 AM

It could be either one but I'm leaning more towards the graphics card because sometimes when the PSU is going bad the entire computer will shut down rather than just one component but, like I said, it's still a possibility the PSU is the culprit. I recommend following the instructions I posted above and if the issue continues replace the card if it's under warranty still.

Edited by Humannpower, 12 May 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#11 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

I've updated the drivers and cleaned inside and yes, I do have canned air at home...  and things SEEM to be back to normal, I've played for over two hours and nothing happened; I will however leave this post opened for a couple of days just in case, and one thing I'd like to ask: if you were to advise me on purchasing either a new video-card OR a psu which one do you think is in my case, and having the info available, more urgent? I ask this because if I am to upgrade then I can only afford one of those devices.

#12 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

If you upgrade the video card you're gonna need a new PSU because with your current PSU your pushing the limit of what the PSU can handle and that can cause malfunctions like this. so I would say get a new PSU first and then a video card. I always recommend using a PSU calculator like this http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator for determining what the minimum is for the system and then add at least 30% more power to give you a nice buffer. 

#13 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

I tried the link you provided me and something odd happened: I filled in all the parameters with my present gpu (gtx 570) and the load wattage is/was 408W and then they recommend a PSU wattage of 458W;

The thing is, I've been eyeing this video-card,the Nvidia  gtx 960 which is far better than mine, and when I did the PSU calculator using the same parameters but changing the make of video-card to this one the

result was, for a layman like me,baffling as the load wattage was 290W with the recommendation of a 340W.

Do these results arise any comments from you? do you still think I should acquire the psu first or do the results shed another light on the matter?

#14 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

Try this one (http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator). I'm getting odd results on the one I just linked. But it seems the 960 consumes less power than the 570. 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

Check the connection at both the computer and the monitor.

Have you tried this monitor on another computer to be sure the problem isn't with it or try another known working monitor?

Boot into Safe Mode and see if this problem continues.

To boot into Safe Mode start with the computer off.  Start it and immediately start tapping the F8 key and continue till the Advanced Boot Options open.  This will look similar to the image below.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png  

Once you have opened the Advanced Boot Options use the up or down button to move the cursor of Safe Mode, then press Enter to select it.

Edited by dc3, 12 May 2016 - 11:02 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users