Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Dialing In At Low Speeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:17 PM

Starting today, my modem started dialing in at low speeds when I went to get online. It used to be around 46kb Id get and now I get 24-28kb. Which is terrible. Any ideas if its just a fluke thing or if something is wrong?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

Could be just a fluke thing if it just started happening today. When I used dial-up, I would experience the same issue from time to time. Could be anything that is affecting the line conditions in your house(or to your telco). Personally, I would let it go unless it becomes a consistant everyday issue. If so, your telco could probably run a line test - if you insisted it was a problem with their lines.

As I mentioned, on the rare day that my connection speed was low, I would disconnect and try again right away, and usually I would connect at a better speed.

Good-luck.

Edited by Joshuacat, 07 August 2006 - 01:00 PM.

JC

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hrmmm, check if your modems overheating. My old one and my new one would lower in speed after overheating.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

Yu can also experiment by trying to connect to other phone numbers if your ISP has more than one available in your area. Often, the low connexion speed is determined by the number of users on a particular server, and moving to a different one will yield higher speeds.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

I will search for new numbers and post how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users