Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to enter Host FIle

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xinyibm

xinyibm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hi, i have an issue and i am on windoes 10 and i am unable to enter the directory for the host file, i get an error of access denied permissions not allowed something like that. I am login as administrator and the owner of the systen, can assist. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 themantis

themantis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

The account you logged on to windows 10 is not a built-in administrator.  In order for you to edit hosts file you need to enable the built-in administrator account.

Right click on command prompt-->@command prompt type: net user administrator /active:yes

then log off and select administrator account to log on.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:50 PM

I have never heard that you needed to use the hidden Administrator to edit the hosts file.  I always edited it from an Administrator account which I created and never had to invoke the hidden Administrator.  Although I can't say what it is, something is definitely wrong with the OP's system.

#4 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Open File Explorer.  Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc  Your hosts file will be there.  If you want to edit it press the start button on your taskbar, and type in notepad, right-click notepad, and choose Run as Administrator.  Choose File -> Open, and browse to hosts file as before.  It will open, and you can then edit it.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:53 PM

Open File Explorer.  Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc  Your hosts file will be there.  If you want to edit it press the start button on your taskbar, and type in notepad, right-click notepad, and choose Run as Administrator.  Choose File -> Open, and browse to hosts file as before.  It will open, and you can then edit it.

The OP clearly states that he is logged in as an administrator, so I don't see how these instructions are going to help.

#6 landscaper

landscaper

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

dhjohns is exactly right,I edit my host files quite often and it works that way.If you open the host folder and try to edit it,it will tell you you must have administrator rights even though do.

#7 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

dhjohns is exactly right,I edit my host files quite often and it works that way.If you open the host folder and try to edit it,it will tell you you must have administrator rights even though do.

I can go straight to the file itself right click>>>open with>>> notepad no problems.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

If you open the host folder and try to edit it,it will tell you you must have administrator rights even though do.

Okay, I understand what you mean now.  That's correct.

#9 themantis

themantis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

If you don't want to activate the built-in admin then try this to see if it works. Right click notepad and select run as administrator then open hosts file from there.

#10 xinyibm

xinyibm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:20 AM

I have tried it the methods above but i still cant get to access it or replace it, i even tried to do it from ms dos. 

#11 landscaper

landscaper

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

One other option,download Hostman.It's a free app and you can edit host file from there with no problem.That's what I have been using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users