Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permission To Read

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wrhatt

wrhatt

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

I am trying to get my HP laptop to go to my Dell desktop and open a program that has files that I need to work on. The error I get is that the HP only has "permission to read" and it must have "permission to read and write" so access is denied. I contacted the maker of the program Aurora that I'm trying to use and they couldn't correct the problem. HP couldn't correct the problem nor could the tech company "The Smart Guys" (recommended by HP) correct the problem. Both computers see each other, both have shared hard drives and the laptop is mapped to the Desktop. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

I think what is going on that the share permissions are set wrong on the folder you are sharing. You will need to set them so that you have write access.

You may also need to set the security settings to the appropriate.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 07 August 2006 - 02:52 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

Did you use the XP networking wizard (comes with the SP2 Critical Update) to set up the network between the two computers and allow sharing of the files?

#4 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

XP networking wizard? Why did that work? I thought that when they were mapped and could see each other it WAS networked. It now works, thanks for fix.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

It worked because it set the permissions for the folders you wanted to share.

You could have done it manually as well but it would have been much more complex.

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users