Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors displaying analog/dvi then sleeping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KingJesterHead

KingJesterHead

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:05 AM

Hello all,

I recently bought a used gaming computer with 2 Samsung monitors (I do not remember the models however I can get the info later)

All was well and everything worked. However I went on vacation and shut down the entire system properly (didn't hard shut down)

Now when I boot up the system, the computer itself boots up fine, however the monitors both are flashing blue indicating they are on sleep mode. If I start them, they flash analog and DVI a few times then the monitor goes back to sleep.

I also have a razor keyboard and mouse connected to the system that work perfectly fine (they light up to the settings that I last saved them as)

Any suggestions? I tried to research this as much as possible but got nothing.

Thanks,

KJH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:32 AM

A number of Samsung monitors had a high incidence of a firmware fault that gave similar symptoms to this, but I no longer have access to any information as to what range of models were involved. To check that you'd need to take them to an Authorized Service Center, as a service jig is needed to upload the latest firmware using the video input. If that is the cause of the fault, in my experience the firmware corrected about 3 out of 4, the remainder needed main/input board replacement. With Samsung, the board is usually not costly, but with labor, repairs to monitors is sadly often not good value compared with new monitors.

Of course, it would be sensible to make sure the monitors show the same symptoms on another computer, or that another monitor works fine on the computer.

Edited by Platypus, 11 May 2016 - 03:45 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 KingJesterHead

KingJesterHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:28 AM

Right. That makes sense to test them with another system.

I have changed the cords already, so I know that isn't the problem.

I was looking to get new monitors anyways as I'm not a huge fan of these Samsung ones (they are quite old as well)

Thanks.

#4 KingJesterHead

KingJesterHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

Update:

I plugged the monitor into my laptop and it works perfectly fine...

I would think now the issue has to do with my system,

Any other suggestions??

Thanks,

KJH

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:20 AM

Since it's a gaming system, I guess there's sound? When you said the system boots up fine, does that mean you hear the Windows startup sound to indicate the system is reaching the desktop? If so, even if there's a video driver problem, you would expect to see the system board sign on and POST, so suspicion would fall on the video card. If the mainboard has onboard video, you could remove the video card and confirm the system displays through the onboard output.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users