Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore point question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:45 AM

I'm pretty sure Win7, by default, deletes restore points beyond a certain amount of days old. If true how can I make sure certain ones don't get deleted? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:16 AM

Not true - { Days } it works on % of the Drive and space allocated - then deletes the oldest when required.

Check within System Settings as to what the percentage is set at Under System Protection.

I dont even run System Restore , as i have not found it reliable in my personal view , but i do have System Images taken and stored externally.

System Restore can aquire a lot of space depending on % settings , so a larger drive is advisible or whatever your % preference maybe , yet over years i have found it not reliable when using,  as it may fail and then you have to select another point and try again , and so forth.

System Images are more reliable in my view and have never failed me , i use Acronis , but free ones are available eg: Aeomi Backupper  http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html  

or   Macrium Reflect   http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

Edited by Havachat, 11 May 2016 - 02:18 AM.

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:46 AM

Thank you for replying Havachat. Is there any advantage using third party backup software over what is provided by Win7? Shouldn't Win7 backup be sufficient? Thanks again!

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

By far the best protection is to do a full system backup to an external hard drive.  For starters System Restore doesn't back up your data, just system files.  Then there's the fact that the backup is on the same hard drive as your system, so if your hard drive goes out, you're completely out of luck.  And as Havachat says, System Restore doesn't always work.  If you value your data, you'll make regular backups to an external hard drive.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users