Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect to Wifi on Brand New ASUS Laptop w/ Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly123

Lilly123

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:22 AM

Hi.

I bought a brand new ASUS X571 Laptop (with Windows 10) today, and when I took it home and turned it on, I got stopped at the 'connect to a wireless network' part. It kept on telling me 'can't connect'. After maybe 8 or 9 tries to connect, I rebooted the router, and tried again, but I had no luck. So I skipped that step, and it started up the computer, and it took me to the desktop.

From there, I tried to connect to the wifi again, and again, and again, but nothing worked. I also tried troubleshooting, restarting the computer, disabling and enabling the wireless network adapter, checking for Qualcomm or Realtek updates, and even manually connecting to the network myself. But I have had no luck, and I still have not gotten connected to the internet.

Is there anyway I can fix this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 May 2016 - 08:55 AM.
moved from Windows 10 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:24 AM

Maybe the Wireless is turned off , check your keyboard Keys eg: F11 F12 is not dimmed.

Otherwise Post your Laptop Specs or use Speccy from BC Downloads for others to assist  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

If the Wifi Switch was not the problem then take it back to the store you purchased it from and have them try to connect via Wifi. If they can't then demand a replacement.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 all hate WEP encryption on a WiFi connection. You have to set it up manually:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/windows-8-wifi-profile-and-wep-connectivity-issues/afe869eb-d56a-4abb-98cd-6bb22ad00d7c?auth=1
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 Lilly123

Lilly123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.

Sadly, I still have not gotten connected. I did take it back to Best Buy (where I purchased it from) and it of course connected automatically there.

But when I brought it back home it didn't work again. I tried countless ways and methods to try to get it to connect wirelessly, and I have had no luck whatsoever. 

Has anyone else had a similar issue, and have you gotten the problem solved? If so, any input is very much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a way to set up a wireless connection through ethernet?

I'm really running out of options here, especially because this is a student's computer, and as you all know, assignments are time sensitive.

Thank you so much for your time. :)

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:49 AM

Did you try setting it up manually as I posted above?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

Sadly, I still have not gotten connected. I did take it back to Best Buy (where I purchased it from) and it of course connected automatically there.

But when I brought it back home it didn't work again. I tried countless ways and methods to try to get it to connect wirelessly, and I have had no luck whatsoever.

This tells me that something is mismatched at home.  Make sure you are using the same encryption on both your router and your computer, and that the passphrase is exactly the same, e.g. upper and lower case characters, etc.

Edited by Agouti, 12 May 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#8 Lilly123

Lilly123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

**UPDATE

I have since exchanged this PC for another one. Thank you all for your help. :)

**To the ADMINS

This topic can be closed. Thank you. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users