Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building new PC

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

Could anyone tell me if this is fine for a new pc? Would they fit together with no problems? It's my first time building a custom PC so I would appreciate any tips!

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R

Motherboard: MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Gaming M7)

Power Supply: : CORSAIR CX600M 600W High Performance Modular Power Supply

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

SDD:  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

HDD: : Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB Hard Drive

GPUMSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

Monitor:  BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 1ms 24 inch Gaming Monitor NVIDIA 3D Vision Supported seamless FPS RTS MOBA Game eSport

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

sorry for inconsistency in text, I copied and pasted nearly all of these.\

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dZfxZL

Edited by araragi, 10 May 2016 - 11:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

What's your CPU and rough ideal budget?

EDIT: Are you planning on overclocking? You probably don't need to be spending that much on the motherboard if you aren't.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 10 May 2016 - 10:27 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

What's your CPU and rough ideal budget?

EDIT: Are you planning on overclocking? You probably don't need to be spending that much on the motherboard if you aren't.

I'm able to spend about $1500 dollars. And I forgot to add cpu, just edited. 

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530.

What is overclocking used for? Is it higher FPS? I heard fps depends on the monitor, which in my case is limited to 144 hz?

Edited by araragi, 10 May 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#4 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

I'm mostly worried about the case, it's only mid tower.. Would it fit everything I want?

I'm considering changing the motherboard to Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard or Asus Z170-A. What's the difference?

I heard both board are fine for for overclocking and it is cheaper. Btw, if I ever wanted to change motherboard what would I have to change in my system? Would there be any data lost or anything? Or just some drive installs?

I realized in pcpartpicker's completed builds include fans and Windows.

In my build, do I already have a fan in there somewhere? And as for Windows, should I get window 10? I never been able to see the improvements between Window 7 and Window 10

Edited by araragi, 10 May 2016 - 11:06 PM.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

The first of those two motherboards is a Z97 chipset, for an older series of CPU. You want the model with a Z170 chipset.

Btw, if I ever wanted to change motherboard what would I have to change in my system? Would there be any data lost or anything?

No data will be lost, but you may have issues with changing motherboards on Windows 10 (may have to contact Microsoft support.)

In my build, do I already have a fan in there somewhere?

99.9% of cases include at least one fan. So-called 'stock' fans aren't the best quality though and may be louder and / or weaker than other fans. I advise that you stick with the included fans unless they make too much noise for you or you have overheating issues.

As for Win7 v Win10... Well there are arguments both ways. W7 has fewer driver/compatibility issues, but is reaching its end of support life. W10 has some glitches to be ironed out, but it should be in support for many years to come. Win10 also has some controversy associated with it regarding privacy, but I personally find all the complaints to be bull. YMMV.
EDIT: Did you finish your last post?

Edited by ScathEnfys, 10 May 2016 - 11:16 PM.

#6 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

The first of those two motherboards is a Z97 chipset, for an older series of CPU. You want the model with a Z170 chipset.

Btw, if I ever wanted to change motherboard what would I have to change in my system? Would there be any data lost or anything?

No data will be lost, but you may have issues with changing motherboards on Windows 10 (may have to contact Microsoft support.)

99.9% of cases include at least one fan. So-called 'stock' fans aren't the best quality though and may be louder and / or weaker than other fans. I advise that you stick with the included fans unless they make too much noise for you or you have overheating issues.

As for Win7 v Win10... Well there are arguments both ways. W7 has fewer driver/compatibility issues, but is reaching its end of support life. W10 has some glitches to be ironed out, but it should be in support for many years to come. Win10 also has some controversy associated with it regarding privacy, but I personally find all the complaints to be bull. YMMV.

Yes I did finish my last post. I was using pcpartspicker and they told me that I needed a CPU cooler for Intel i7-6700k so I added a 25 dollar one

I'm still looking to lower the price to $1500, could you recommend me another motherboard? I might try overclocking in the future, but probably not intense or high overclocking (sorry for poor vocabulary).

How can I check if all the parts will fit in the case?

Edited by araragi, 10 May 2016 - 11:26 PM.

#7 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

Btw, if I ever wanted to change motherboard what would I have to change in my system? Would there be any data lost or anything? Or just some drive installs?

I am a bit late to the party but..

1.) If you change motherboards you need to make sure your OLD CPU is compatible with the new one.

Different motherboards may have different socket types.

2.) A new motherboard may require different RAM. You can double check the new motherboards manual to get a list of compatible RAM.

3.) As ScathEnfys mentioned above, you will not lose any data.
Your data is saved on your hardrive(s).

Yes I did finish my last post. I was using pcpartspicker and they told me that I needed a CPU cooler for Intel i7-6700k so I added a 25 dollar one

I would get a better cooler. The CPU is like the brain of your computer, if it overheats you can have major problems and even damage the CPU.
Cooling is very important when building your own computer.

For example, the computer I use, has a giant N-14 Cooler. Now this one is a bit of overkill for your build, but it emphasizes the importance of having a good cooler.

Also, my computer has a total of 9 fans. Your computer may not need as many but you definitely want at least 1 exhaust fan for the back and top of the computer, 1 fan in the front that pulls in air and possibly a few fans that pull in air from the side.

Many of these fans will come with the case (Chasis) you buy. Your comeputer case has the biggest impact on things like cooling, noise and protection of the various computer parts.

To be honest you will have to read through the dimensions of each part and figure out if they fit.
RAM will always fit, but when it comes to sizes the most important aspects are as follows.
#1 Buying a large enough case.
#2 Choosing the right size motherboard. Motherboards have different form factors that decide how large they are.

#3 Choosing a videocard that fits.
#4 Choosing a CPU cooler that fits.
(Sometimes CPU coolers get in the way of your RAM, since good ram usually comes with heat spreaders, which add additional height to the RAM.)
#5 Choosing a PSU that fits. (This usually isn't an issue but if you have a smaller computer case, this could end up being a problem.)

Usually I start by choosing a case and motherboard. Then once I know the dimensions of both, it allows me to more easily check if everything fits.
If you really are nervous if everything will fit you can always buy a very large case. Two well known, high end cases are The Coolmaster HAF 932 Advance and Coolmaster HAF X. (These cases are as big as it gets.)

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:40 AM

I'm still looking to lower the price to $1500, could you recommend me another motherboard? I might try overclocking in the future, but probably not intense or high overclocking (sorry for poor vocabulary).

My recommendation: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ssRwt6

CPU: Unless playing only old games and do not care abnout future, my CPU is much better. Considering price difference is only 20$, I don't see any reason to pick overpriced 6700K.
CPU cooler: - (didn't change that)
Motherboard: LGA2011-3 is high end socket while LGA1155 is not.
Memory: -
Storage: MX200 is much better than Samsung's TLC crap.
HDD: -
GPU: I downgraded display to 60 Hz and that GPU is very fine for that. GTX970 is way too slow for 144 Hz anyway. Also GTX970 has high price considering it's only 3,5GB card, has bad DX12 support and AMD Polaris probably goes on same price range.
Case: -
Power supply: Corsair CX600 is medium quality (at most), my choice is high quality (at least)
Monitor: 60Hz monitor matches with GPU choice and you will need much more powerful card for 144Hz anyway

Edited by Drillingmachine, 11 May 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

Yoshi, the EVO may be cheap but it's a very reliable cooler.

#10 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

The MSI's level of overclocking seemed really appealing as well as its other features. I will probably be overclocking..

I changed the pc parts again, I long passed $1500 though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/txm2Q7

but $140 difference isn't much when I'm spending 1500+ right..?

Anyway, the new case I chosen has quite a bit of fans. Will it be okay to drop the CPU cooler? Or do I still need a better one?

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

I still say that i7-5820K is much better choice. Quad core and 1500$ budget is very strange combination.

Crucial BX200 is TLC crap as is 850 Evo. MX200 is not.

For video card and monitor, same as I said before still appiles. Option for video card before new technology arrives if you really need good GPU right now http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9380p4255

As for case, if you spend that much for case, buy better cooler also.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 11 May 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#12 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Yoshi, the EVO may be cheap but it's a very reliable cooler.

My apologies, I am a bit too used to working with high end coolers. :thumbup2: 
Thank you for the information.

#13 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

#14 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I still say that i7-5820K is much better choice. Quad core and 1500$ budget is very strange combination.
I agree that the Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor is better.
But if araragi switches to that processor they also need to switch to a different motherboard.

Option for video card before new technology arrives if you really need good GPU right now

Nvidia recently announced their new line of videocards, which gives you a few choices.
#1 Expect big price drops on all older nvidia cards soon.
So you can wait and pick up one of the current videocards for much cheeper

#2 Their new videocards give you much better performance for their price.
If you wait you can purchase a much better videocards, for the same price as the current videocards, when they come out.

#3 You purchase a decent videocard now and upgrade to a better one, once the new ones are released.

#4 You purchase a very good videocard now, with no intention of upgrading to the new ones when they are released.

Edited by King_Yoshi, 11 May 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#15 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

That is an amazing website.
Thank you for sharing the link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users