Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Return of Wuauserv (& the Mystery of the Overloaded Disk)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 feckingcomputer

feckingcomputer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

I turned on my laptop today, and not long after, began hearing phantom vacuum sounds.

I checked task manager, processes.

That b!tch wuauserv is at it again.  :(

Last thread was opened here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611007/svchostexe-using-50-cpu/

The gist of the problem is that wuauserv (Windows Update process) takes up 50% of the disk processes (100% on my disk) and doesn't stop. You try manually searching for updates and it goes on searching, ad infinitum. My laptop overheats quickly, the fans go crazy, and renders my laptop unusable.

I never really received a solution to my problem last time. It just went away eventually (although I tried loads of things, and any one of them might have cleared it up).

I don't feel like dealing with this again, so I disabled Windows Update for the FINAL time.

I'm curious if anyone else is having problems with it (again).

Edited by feckingcomputer, 10 May 2016 - 07:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 feckingcomputer

feckingcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:40 AM

*sigh*

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/wuauserv-process-running-at-50-disk-overloading/19d26400-2244-4934-a688-b03b4a14d053

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

Welcome to the club. Same thing is happening to me on May Updates.

Edit: See this post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#4 feckingcomputer

feckingcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52232

I manually installed this, held my breath and re-enabled Windows Update... There was a quick spike in CPU activity... Whirring, blender sounds... Then I saw a Windows Update icon pop up on my taskbar! Says to restart my computer to finish installing important updates. That's my next move. If you don't hear from me again, I'm good!

Until next month.

Edited by feckingcomputer, 11 May 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#5 jwillick

jwillick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

I have Vista and noticed a large memory usage in task manager.   Researched this and found that there was an update to Vista that caused this memory leakage that keeps building as seen in task manager.  Temporary solution was Open Task Manager, click on svchost, go to Services tab and right click on wuauserv to "stop service".  This is a temporary solution only.  There was supposed to be a Hot Fix for this problem to the Vista Update, however, Microsoft site says Support for Vista has ended, so I don't know how to go any further.  So, I guess, I really need to get a new laptop with Windows 10.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

Try doing a reset of Windows Update...

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

#7 jwillick

jwillick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Tried resetting Windows Update. Didn't work. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users