Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with a motherboard swap?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DotHaze

DotHaze

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

Ok so I had a power surge hit my house and killed my computer. I assume the issue was just the power supply so I ordered one and installed it. It turned on fine and ran for a little while then automatically shut off(it did that several times and sometimes the power would be on and the monitor wouldn't show anything). I googled what could cause that and saw couple problems like check power supply fan, motherboard probably got sizzled, heatsink(check thermal compound). All fans are running fine and I check the thermal compound(buying some more tomorrow because it needs some). I assume it is the motherboard also which leads me to some questions.

1. Could my issue be the motherboard?
2. Could it be in need of thermal compound?
3. ASROCK fm2aa55m-vg3+ is my motherboard but I can't find it anywhere online for sale as I assume it's discontinued and an oldie. Is there a newer one that I can just pop out the old and pop in the new without going through hoops? Thanks a million! :)

Here are some of my computers info...

http://s32.postimg.org/5t65gtp2d/image.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/3nbumbllx/image.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/4vv4u7o6d/image.jpg

Edited by DotHaze, 10 May 2016 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

Power surge maybe killed motherboard also after it killed PSU. That is good guess, but only way to determine what is working and what is not is to swap parts until you find defective one.

Virtually any FM2+ motherboard is OK for Athlon X4 760K.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 11 May 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#3 DotHaze

DotHaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thank you!!!

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

I assume it's discontinued and an oldie. Is there a newer one that I can just pop out the old and pop in the new without going through hoops? Thanks a million! :)

Wouldn't it be nice if one merely had to replace the MB, hook everything up, hit the button & be up & running. Unfortunately that often is not how it goes.

A new MB will [recommended] need a fresh install of the OS. Do you have a physical copy of the OS? If so, you probably have an OEM copy & it, the Win Key, is locked to your old motherboard & can not be re-used with newer MB. MS considers a new MB as being a different computer. Perhaps you luckily own a RETAIL copy, then the re-install restrictions will not apply, provided it is installed on one computer only. No retail disc? Then you will need to acquire a genuine new copy of Win 7. It can be an OEM or retail. 

You will probably want to back up your important files, such as Downloads, documents, pictures, music, videos, favorites/bookmarks, etc, as all will be lost otherwise. Do you have backup media? External hard drive, thumb drive etc. All currently installed software will need reinstalling. Be sure you have Keys & registration info for special software. You'll have to hookup your hard drive externally or install it into another computer to get the files. 

A new MB should come with support disc[s] with drivers & those will need to be installed after the windows installation. Otherwise & often suggested is to get the drivers from the manufacturer's support page ahead of time & at the ready. You'll also need to download & install a boatload of window's updates. It's a time intensive chore & a bit intimidating if you haven't gone through those hoops before. Just take it slow & easy with frequent breaks. There's lot's of help here if you need it.  

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

If I understand your opening, you cannot post or boot.  That means moving the hard-drive to another computer, creating a usb or dvd boot containing portable version of a good backup/restore utility [Macrium Reflect is just one of many choices] in order to make backups onto any external media.  Or, after moving the hard-drive, you can create a usb or dvd Puppy Linux with enough stuff to copy your folder/files onto any external media.  Personally, try MR first, I think it may be less geeky than Puppy Linux.  Your call  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 DotHaze

DotHaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:13 PM

Oh wow! Thanks both of you! Fortunately I do have an original copy of a new OS. 😁

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

Oh wow! Thanks both of you! Fortunately I do have an original copy of a new OS.

Well, you're set! Have you selected a MB?

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#8 DotHaze

DotHaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

Oh wow! Thanks both of you! Fortunately I do have an original copy of a new OS.

Well, you're set! Have you selected a MB?

I went with the ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ Something simple lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users