Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to clean and speed up an old laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrMajeika

MrMajeika

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

A friend of mine has an old HP laptop that he never uses anymore as it's become slow. I don't think he ever took care of it. I don't think he had an anti virus just an old one that the subcription had run out. I said I will try to clean it up for him and just wondered if someone could tell me what order to do things and what to do. I.e do I run scans first? Updates first? I'm guessing it'll be pretty messed up so where should I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

You haven't said what operating system it has.  That might be useful.  If it's really bad, it might be better if you backup all your friend's personal data and reinstall the operating system.

#3 MrMajeika

MrMajeika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:09 AM

I'm guessing it's windows xp. Hopefully I'm picking up the laptop later so I'll know for sure. Would I need the windows cd to reinstall windows? I doubt he would have that

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:21 AM

It may have a Recovery Partition so you wont need the Disc , if it has a Product Key sticker that would also Help.

Keep us Posted.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

List of Free PUP/Adware/Toolbars/Browser Hijacking Scan Tools:

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion in these topics:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 MrMajeika

MrMajeika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

It may have a Recovery Partition so you wont need the Disc , if it has a Product Key sticker that would also Help.
Keep us Posted.

It's windows 7 and it has the Microsoft licence sticker on the back but some of it has worn off. There is a barcode with some numbers underneath. There looks like there was another one underneath but it's all worn off

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

ProductKey, Belarc, and several other utilities exist that can pull off product keys of Windows and other Microsoft products.  If possible to find, an ISO for the installed Windows can be made into a usb or dvd boot for startup repair if needed.  Puppy Linux usb or dvd boots can be real handy.  Revo Uninstaller free version could come in real handy once Windows works ok to remove unwanted/unneeded programs.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 May 2016 - 01:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 MrMajeika

MrMajeika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

What if I go in to the advanced recovery options and restore computer to factory settings?

If I manage to find the product key can someone give me step by step instructions with how to reinstall windows. Sorry probably a pain but it's not my laptop so don't want to mess it up. I'll probably upgrade to windowe 10 can it be done through that?

Edited by MrMajeika, 11 May 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

What if I go in to the advanced recovery options and restore computer to factory settings?

That is always an option. Most manufacturers have detailed instructions on their website.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

has an old HP laptop

If you do not do a clean OS install, then one thing you can do in addition to the earlier suggestions is remove any unnecessary HP programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users