Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI U230 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingchristo

kingchristo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

I have a MSI u230 notebook when I turn it on I don't get a display or here a beep the power light is on and the light that is a half moon. I have tryed taking out the bios battery , swapping ram memory and connecting to a extetnal display but nothing has worked please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Well if the BIOS isn't coming up on the screen when booting it up it sounds like the screen or video card may have gone out. I would recommend trying to hook up a second monitor up to the HDMI or VGA port and see if you can get in that way and recover any files you need.

#3 kingchristo

kingchristo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

I have linked up to HDMI and don't get anything through that either

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:51 PM

Unless anyone else has any suggestions I would have to say the laptop is dead. 

#5 kingchristo

kingchristo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

I hope not hopefully someone else may think of something else

Edited by kingchristo, 10 May 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#6 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

Pretty good evidence the graphics output is dead when internal AND external video output fail. Nice diagnostic job BTW. 

HumanPower is correct, repair is prohibitively expensive (likely MB replacement since that is where the graphics chip 780M  is soldered (northbridge)) for a six year old end of life notebook.  Pull the drive to recover data.  2.5" 160GB/250GB/320GB SATA

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/U230.html#hero-overview

You can use this or this to load the HDD into another PC as an external drive.  The latter permits you to reuse the drive eventually as an external drive.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 11 May 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#7 kingchristo

kingchristo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

I tryed a reflow as u say its an old thing so don't won't to spend to much it doesn't start at all now just a quick blue light flash

#8 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

A reflow on the MB is not a bad last try---it's free for what is about to become junk so what the heck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users