Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game installs but crashes on startup. Baffled, need help.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daznem

Daznem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

So here's the thing. I recently installed The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on my PC using its disc. The install went fine but on startup, the game will display Bethesda Softworks, 2k Games ect. as usual, then proceed to crash with the following message inside a box named "Windows Installer" :

“The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Enter an alternate path to folder containing the instruction package “Blackberry Desktop Software.msi.” in the box below: C:\users\Émilie\appdata\local\temp\WZSE1.tmp\1       

(Émilie is my sister's name, and she hasn't had a user folder in a long, long time)

I have found no ways to interact with the windows installer box in any way. Clicking on it freezes the screen until i open the task manager. Heck, sometimes that doesn't even work and i have to restart the computer.

The very technical procedure of "mashing a bunch of buttons until something happens" did not work either, surprisingly.

So I was fairly confused about what the hell blackberry had to do with my oblivion game. Even more confusing was the fact that I dont own anything related to blackberry. I first assumed some remnant blackberry files my sister installed were causing some shenanigans and messing up the game, so I used Revo Uninstaller to get rid of everything. Then I read somewhere that such errors could be caused by corrupted files in windows installer. I ran a program that was supposed to fix that kind of stuff, to no avail (not sure if it worked though). Tried a bunch of other solutions related to windows installer. Nothing happened.

Tried reinstalling, tried compatibility mode, tried different settings, tried running as admin, and a bunch of other stuff. I know for a fact the disc is fine.

So, I'm really confused. Not sure if I've angered the computer gods or something but I can't get this thing to work. I'm not one to usually post online to fix my issues, i usually just look up answers on google. Thing is, I've not found anyone with this problem online, so I haven't found a convincing solution.

I don't consider myself computer savvy, so this might be really simple or really complicated. Either way I hope you take the time to answer me if you can. Thank you for reading.

PC specs:

Windows 10 64 bits

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40 GHz

RAM : 8,00 Go

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Edited by Daznem, 10 May 2016 - 08:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kristinalva

kristinalva

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:35 AM

Sometime downloading software gets corrupted. Get it checked from repairer of computer.

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Try this guide, seems it was installed at some point on your PC. Not sure what it has to do with a game, but uninstalling it might fix the problem.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?ArticleNumber=000002206

google popped this up and is where I got the above link. https://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-OS-Smartphones/Blackberry-Desktop-Software-msi-missing/td-p/464783

#4 Daznem

Daznem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

Well, both these links are people actually trying to install blackberry stuff. I've already read them and they didn't turn out to help. The missing blackberry .msi error makes sense if you're trying to install something related to it. It means that you dont have all the files needed to install. My game doesn't need any of that stuff, which is why this error is weird. Also, like I said, i have systematically removed everything blackberry-related from my computer to make sure it wasn't the source of the problem. I have no blackberry programs installed, nor do I have any remnant blackberry files.

That's why my best guess is that it's a problem with windows installer. It's an older program, and Oblivion being an older game probably uses it for something. Microsoft has a program for fixing Windows installer related issues but it's not supported by windows 10.

#5 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

Have you ran the sfc /scannow and also the dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth commands? Didn't realize you had already made sure to uninstall anything blackberry related.

#6 Daznem

Daznem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

I think I did, doing it again, why not.

#7 Daznem

Daznem
  • Topic Starter