Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video editing recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:48 PM

I'm looking for some video editing software that meets ALL of the following criteria:

1. It's free (not free trial; just straight-up free). Oh, and no watermarks in the center.

2. A timeline, so I can easily clip out unwanted footage. Windows Movie Maker 2.6 meets this criterion, but that's it.

3. The ability to add sound effects and background music on top of the sound inside the raw footage. This is something WMM cannot do.

4. A whole slew of visual effects, and not just for the whole picture, either. I'd like the ability to apply effects only to certain parts of the screen if I want, as well just the on-screen test, if I so choose.

5. The ability to download and add new sound effects, musics, and visual effects.

Maybe WMM can do all this, and I just don't know how. But I would like to have a video editing app that's intuitive, easy to use, and fits all of the above criteria.

Any suggestions?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

To me, VirtualDub is probably one of the best free video editors because of the amount of plugins that are available.  However, I think finding a free video editor which can do all the things you want, will be a bit tough.

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

What about DaVinci Resolve 12.5? Do you think that looks promising?

Here's the link if you've never heard of it:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

I must confess I haven't dabbled much into video editing because I don't have a great need for it.  I have never heard about DaVinci Resolve 12 either.  It does look interesting though.  I found this notice on Softpedia's listing...

Important Information

Note: The free DaVinci Resolve 12 includes all of the same high quality processing as DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio and can handle unlimited resolution media files. However it does limit project mastering and output to Ultra HD resolutions or lower. DaVinci Resolve 12 only supports a single processing GPU on Windows. To remove these limitations and get additional features, you must upgrade to the Studio edition.

If you get around to trying DaVinci Resolve 12, I'd like to hear what you think.

#5 Securex

Securex

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:36 AM

try to use something from this list:

Free Video Editor v. 7.1

VideoPad Video Editor v.4.3

Wondershare Video Editor v.5.1

Edited by Securex, 11 May 2016 - 08:21 AM.

IPleak.com - Check your VPN or Proxy!

Temp-Mail.org - Disposable Temporary email

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

I would be cautious with Softonic.  I'd much rather download from MajorGeeks or Softpedia because they tell you if there are any hidden surprises.

#7 Securex

Securex

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

Thank you. I don't sure about softonic too. I edited my post

Edited by Securex, 11 May 2016 - 08:21 AM.

IPleak.com - Check your VPN or Proxy!

Temp-Mail.org - Disposable Temporary email

#8 N_Delago

N_Delago

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

What did you choose eventually?

#9 WillGraham

WillGraham

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

usually, free video editing software is not quite good, functions are limited and the quality is bad

#10 N_Delago

N_Delago

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

usually, free video editing software is not quite good, functions are limited and the quality is bad

Not necessarily. 

Consider Hollywood-level Lightworks

Consider unparalleled in color correction Davinci Resolve

Consider VSDC Free Video Editor

Consider Videopad

I can continue with Blender, Shotcut - and I'm sure there is still something I'm not aware of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users