Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Android mobile keeps downloading files.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

I have noticed over the last few weeks that my Android phone keeps downloading around 50 files. These files are not named but have alpha-numerical names.

I have Avast on the mobile but that doesn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ET

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Do you use Firefox? Because occasionally I find unidentified files under the device storage downloads folder when I surf the web.

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

Hi SuperSapien64

No, I just use the normal explorer or rarely Chrome.

Edited because I didn't read the message properly.

I discovered it by chance. I was checking an email that had just arrived and I saw that something was downloading. It just said "Downloading 51 files" then with alpha-numerical numbers.

No sign of what was being downloaded at all.

Edited by English Teacher, 10 May 2016 - 04:48 PM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hi SuperSapien64

No, I just use the normal explorer or rarely Chrome.

Edited because I didn't read the message properly.

I discovered it by chance. I was checking an email that had just arrived and I saw that something was downloading. It just said "Downloading 51 files" then with alpha-numerical numbers.

No sign of what was being downloaded at all.

What do you use for your email application?

#5 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your input, the only application I have is the Gmail one.

I happened again yesterday, I just pressed the button to turn on the screen (I wanted to see the time) and I saw it downloading about 40ish files again, alpha-numerical.

Is there any program or something where I could see what files had been modified?

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:14 AM

Hi English Teacher,

Do you know the file extention(s) for these files? (e.g. jpg, pdf, mp3, etc)

Hedge

#7 psychosquirrel02

psychosquirrel02

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hey, I'm having the same issue.   It started yesterday.  Downloads anywhere from 2-80 files within 2-5 seconds.  The file names are all huge, so I cant see what they end in, and clicking on the notification does not do anything.

75d1675.png

Edited by psychosquirrel02, 12 May 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#8 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for your input psychosq.....

That's the same as mine. Random alpha-numerical file names, downloading 30-60ish files at a time.

#9 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:19 AM

What I have just noticed is that sometimes you are advised that xxx ap has just been updated.

I saw this today. They are probably legit apps but for some reason it doesn't give the name of the app updating while it is.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,081 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

Do you have auto update enabled within Google Play? You might want to turn it off, and see if that stops the random file downloading you're experiencing.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

Hi Animal,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have just turned off the auto-updates.

In case nobody knows how to do this, open Play Store, Click on the 3 horizontal lines (where you would type in what you were searching for), now scroll down to settings, Under the "General" heading (it's the first one at the time of writing), touch "Auto-Update" and then select "Do not auto-update Apps"

I'll post back with the results in a day or two.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,081 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:34 PM

You're quite welcome for the suggestion.

Thank you for adding the directions on how to turn off auto update. For others who may read this thread for similar issues.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

Your welcome Animal,

I like precise advice as well as if, or rather, when I have a problem I don't want to search for how to do something else.

Anyway just to say that despite the automatic updates being disabled....it's still downloading. It is doing it right at this moment about 60ish files.

#14 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

UPDATE:

It's not long downloaded another 70ish files.......this time though there was the word "Unity"

Now I'm going to look and see what Apps are from this company.

Off we go....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users