Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Things

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

a am interested in learning website building, i think its pretty cool to type something in html and see it come out as an awesome product, that you have created yourself.anyways the band that i am in would like to have a website, so i have been working a little bit on one, and just put it on angelfire to start with untill our band gets goin a little more. one of the things i would like to be able to do is to set up a poll, so we can have an idea of what ppl think of our music. i have yet to find a good program, or a way to do this without registering for onething or another, any ideas? next thing is (well i am obviously new,but i am eager to learn) rollovers, i would like when i navigate my toolbar at the top that the buttons change to a different(same button just with different colors) button. i have asked a few ppl and they tell me to put a line of code in the head of my page and then put some code where the rollover occers. i am not understanding of this, and would wish somone could explain this method, or if they have a better on.
thankyou for your time and answers.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

i am not sure of the forum rules about bumping your topic, but i still need help on theese things.

Edited by ussr1943, 10 August 2006 - 03:30 PM.

"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

Perfectly acceptable to bump after a couple of days. Had I seen this, I would have replied. A simple web page is , well, pretty simple. Setting up a poll is a little beyond just having a static html page. Without getting too in depth, you would need a script that registers a vote, sends it back to the server, then refreshses the web page. For some one learning how to do simple web pages, that is a bit more advanced. In the best case, it could probably be done with a simple scripting language. That means learning at least enough of a language in order to process your poll results.

The other effect you are talking about is called a mouse-over, or hover. Here is a simple way of doing it, but you probably won't really understand what you are doing, or what to do with the code that you generate.
http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

A mouseover effect is created by having two different images, a 'normal' image, and the 'enhanced' image. When your page is first loaded, the normal image is loaded. When the mouse moves over the image, the 'enhanced' image is displayed. That is also a bit beyond basic html.

The easiest way to learn is to find a web page that has the sort of effects you are interested in, and look at the source code to see how they did it. Nowadays most pages are generated on the fly, so the code is a bit harder to read and understand. In addition, most pages use a generous mix if css and various other scripting languages.

Hope that helps a bit. :thumbsup:

#4 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

thank you for your reply on theese subjects. i was able to figure out the rollover effect by doing exactly what you said, looking at page sources, and this is pretty simple and easy to understand now that i see it. as for poll, it sounds complicated, but i like to learn stuff, and i have plenty of time, maybe i can learn after i work more with html and some different languages.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:48 AM

A cool service I used when I first delved into webmastery was Bravenet. They provide counters, forums, password protection (wasn't all that good, though) and polls among other services.

Check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users