Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender and Malwarebytes not compatible

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cookies67

cookies67

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

I was told by Bitdefender that I should delete my Malwarebytes.They said that they are not compatible and that Bitdefender does the same thing as Malewarebytes does. Is this correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

It can vary. Sometimes the two programs will get along but other times they will fight with one another. Best bet is just to install them both and see what happens.

#3 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

If you want to use bitdefender do as it asks. Many times anti malware programs don't play well together. If you don't want to use bitdefender then stay with Malwarebytes, but using both is a bit redundant.

#4 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. That is what Bitdefender said. It is redundant.

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hello cookies67:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Premium is a very effective adjunct to all Bitdefender products.  If you do choose to make MBAM Premium and Bitdefender products run compatibly, please open a topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help sub-forum.

Please clearly state the complete product name and full version for each, and request the detailed method of installation.

You will be happy you did.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

If you want to use bitdefender do as it asks. Many times anti malware programs don't play well together. If you don't want to use bitdefender then stay with Malwarebytes, but using both is a bit redundant.

Except of course, the times that one application might have detected a malware issue, where perhaps the other did not? :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

A similar statement is in this Malwarebytes HelpDesk Article: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:32 AM

cookies67:

Just to add to what Quietman7 has said, I have been using Bitdefender Total Security, various versions, along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for years, without issues, on my own two computers.  I did configure the exceptions recommended by Malwarebytes, just as a precaution.  I have also set up the computers of other folks with the same protection combination and they have not experienced issues.

I think Bitdefender is overstating potential problems.  You really do need a good anti-virus, and a real-time anti-malware product working in combination, to enhance your security.  That said, always remember that the interface between the chair and the keyboard is the biggest security vulnerability.  No combination of products can save you from yourself, if you are not following safe computing practices.  Quietman7 has an excellent posts on the subject here and here.  I recommend that you read them.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#9 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

I am now having a problem with Bitdefender's support. I paid Bitdefender the money for my 2016 renewal a couple of days ago. I have been having problems downloading it. Now they tell me after talking to several techs that because I have Vista Windows I can not renew the 2016 renewal version of Bitdefender because my Vista is too old. They told me that all they could do was give me updates of the 2015 version and I would not be totally protected. I asked for a refund of my money. I would like to download a very good 2016 antivirus that will support my Vista. What do I do next?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

Look for another anti-virus solution.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

Just to add in, Emsisoft has stopped supporting Windows Vista since version 11. I would not recommend Emsisoft if you are running Windows Vista.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:50 AM

Yea...I forgot about that. On November 12, 2015 Emsisoft posted the following on their Changeblog.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 11.0 released!

Protection from new threats means focusing on the latest versions of Windows

Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 11 dont run on Windows XP and Vista anymore. Customers who still belong to a rapidly shrinking group of XP and Vista users will not receive the new version via online updates, but continue to get signature- and detection-updates for their version 10 until the officially announced support end in April 2016. Rest assured, its not our intention to push our customers to buy a new computer, but we have to face reality here: Both XP and Vista lack significant security features in their core structure, which is holding us back from protecting users to the highest possible level. Imagine the best and most advanced available home security system that just cant do its job because all doors and windows of your home are kept open for thieves all the time and there is no way to close them. As Microsoft no longer creates patches for newly discovered security leaks, we believe its unethical to sell antivirus software that pretends to protect while it cant effectively do so any longer.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:55 AM

Vista No Longer Supported by Some Security Software

#14 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

I also found out that ESET nod 32 is only the basic ESET. It does not have a firewall. I ended up purchasing the ESET smart security package and I am very happy with it.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

Sometimes all that's needed is to "tell" each anti-virus, each anti-malware, etc. to exclude each other's directories.  Be mindful of real time protection shields -- don't set too assertively and do not overlap similar shields [for example: Avast and Emsisoft; Emsisoft and Malwarebytes AM; SUPERAntispware and Emsisoft or Malwarebytes].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users