Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Should I Or Not...?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

Well ive just purchased my first new computer , and with in Two hours of connecting to the internet I was infected, by a trojan , which I managed to remove, so from then I think I am getting a bit paranoid !!!
so ive now installed the following..

Spybot search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
AVG
Spywear Blaster
SocketShield
ewido 4 ( paid version )
Zone Labs ( not using windows firewall )

do forum members think that the above is over the top, ...?

the reason I am asking this ( Newbie ) question is that I was thinking of giving Windows Defender beta 2 a try..?

would this just be a waste of time with all the above already installed..?

your advice and comments would be most welocme ...

Thanks............ Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

You have a very strong set of protection layers as it is; I doubt if the Beta release will add that much to your security, and will just be yet another application gunking up your system.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:14 AM

Hi jgweed,

Thanks for your reply, as a newbie I was thinking that the more the better, but I had forgot about as you say ..just be yet another application gunking up your system.

very good point, Thanks ........Mypenry

#4 utopian86

utopian86

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:01 AM

ewido sure can replace ur windows defender ^_^

#5 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

Hi mypenry. These are my humble suggestions. I would uninstall AVG and instead use AntiVir which test have shown to be tops among free and paid AV programs. I had AVG for a long time before AntiVir came out and it detected nothing. My AntiVir has protected me many times while surfing, it is well updated, well supported and free. You can get it here http://www.free-av.com/

Next, be sure your Ewido Resident Shield is on and updates loaded. This is an excellent program.

I have had Windows One Care Live for a while which includes Windows Defender. It has detected nothing and test show it is useless. I think so too. Instead, I would use the free SpyDefense from here http://www.everestlabs.com/
It provides active real-time protection and has found many trojans for me.

Of the 1000's of anti-malware programs available, I can highly recommend BitDefender and Spyware Doctor from my own experience, and I have tried alot of them. Either one cost around $30 but well worth it. Get one of these and you will be well protected in real-time and not need much more.

Well, that's just suggestions from CilyPudi, and wish you well in Thialand. I would like to visit!
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

Have to agree with the others....
if you are using the paid for version of Ewido, i can't really see the need for 'Defender'.
I do use both.... but i don't use the paid for version! and although Defender runs every night, i still run 'Ewido' twice a week.

BBPP6nz.png

#7 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

Quote - >Of the 1000's of anti-malware programs available, I can highly recommend BitDefender and Spyware Doctor from my own experience, and I have tried al ot of them.<

Question: Is BitDefender an anti-virus or an anti malware programme?

Cheers, whatapalver

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

Hi All.

Bit Defender is ANTIVIRUS. I haven't used it myself but a free version is available HERE. Let us know what you think.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:50 AM

Gretings to one and all,

I asked the question about BitDefender because cilypudi's reference to it puzzled me. I do have BitDefender and thereby hangs a tale.

Until just over a week ago I had the paid up version of AVG. I had had it for well over a year. It never found anything but I trusted it. Then, out of the blue, I had problems with updates. I should explain that I am a manual updater and it is a habit that is applicable to all of my security programmes. I prefer to update manually. It is a 'boot up habit'. In addition, I update and scan more often in the day if I have used the internet, ie when I take a rest from working, but that is no hardship.

Anyway, an AVG update would be ready for download and install, but it would not happen. To my knowledge I had done nothing to cause updating problems, but when that happened I was exposed to new viruses attacks. So I contacted AVG and asked for help. A gentleman replied and his instructions were clear, but they did not solve the problem. I called upon AVG again and a different gentleman responded with different advice. I had to remove AVG and reinstall in Safe Mode. That did not work. I contacted AVG again and a third gentleman told me that installing AVG in Safe Mode was impossible and that I should do something else. I contacted AVG once more and another gentleman replied. By that time I had had enough so I cancelled AVG there and then. Four technicians is four too many.

I had already installed BitDefender because I suspected that AVG was going to be a problem. I like it. There are updates every day, sometimes twice a day. It has found nothing but I like to think that I keep a clean ship and never venture where others do not fear to tread. I would prefer a shorter, quicker, scanning time. A full scan is never less than twenty minutes so my rest periods are often longer than I would prefer them to be. And of course, I can and do skip scans if I have not been into the internet.

It is a pity that one cannot have two or more operating anti-virus programmes in a computer. Having multiple anti-malware and anti-spyware programmes is recommended. Their protection overlaps, but one anti-virus the limit.

Best wishes. whatapalaver.

#10 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:42 PM

Hi sillypudi

Hey, I just dis-installed AVG as above recommended and installed AntiVir.

Then, I went to www.everestlabs.com to install the Spy Defense as stated above. As it was opening for the first time run, after downloaded, AntiVir stopped it and said it contained a serious back-door virus/trojan or something backdoor...thing...and recommended NOT to install it. So, I disinstalled it.

Do you know if Antivir is correct or if I should have allowed it?

Learning Curve,

me.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#11 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:48 AM

Hey L & Co., yea, you're right that AntiVir detects the sds.dll in SpyDefense as the Backdoor Trojan Hackdef or something. It is a well known conflict that both companies know about. Just Google it. Go here to verify the dll:http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-net/index.html

In the meantime, I just tell AntiVir to "ignore it". That drove me nuts a few months back until I saw others were getting the same thing. Avira need to remove the sds.dll from their malware list. I had hoped it would have been done by now with so many reporting it.

Its only been a small nusiance, SpyDefense has been a very good freeware that has found quite a few bugs for myself, and for right now, AntiVir is tops.

I would offer you a pomegranate but......
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#12 Naz

Naz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:47 PM

I never thought it was that great, the ones you mentioned are better.

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

I have Spy Blaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Advance Spyware and I run them all the time. The point is that when I downloaded (ewido and ran it ), ewido found 952 tracking cookies all the others missed.
I'm impressed with this program. This is the only web site that recommends this product that I can find and I don't know why. IT WORKS GREAT
Thank you all for recommending it.

Edited by Layback Bear, 17 September 2006 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users