Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to upgrade my p7-1210 PC's graphic card. Need help and comfirmation!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nponthier

nponthier

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

As title states I am trying to upgrade my PC's graphics card. I found a Zotak TI 750 graphics card that fits into a PCI Express x 16 slot. My motherboard on my pc has a PCIEx16 slot and should be able to install it. I know I will have to upgrade my power supply but I have some questions.

I've been reading online and someone said something about BIOS maybe needing to be upgraded for the graphics card to work in my old PC. I have no idea what this means and the updates I do have when I looked for updates for my BIOS shows simple updates like bluetooth stuff that doesn't seem important.

If I buy the TI 750 and install it and reboot my system, will my computer automatically install the drivers or BIOS or whatever it needs?

Another question, which power supplys will my PC support? I want at least a 500W PSU.

Thank you for your time. Not too tech savvy but I've been trying to research. I wanted to build a PC from scratch but my budget is tight and I only need a graphics card for my PC gaming needs.

Link to my PC specs:  http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03157407

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

That video card probably needs UEFI BIOS to work and unless there is UEFI BIOS update available, that card will not work.

So better to look out for older PCI Express 2.0 video cards.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 May 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#3 nponthier

nponthier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

That video card probably needs UEFI BIOS to work and unless there is UEFI BIOS update available, that card will not work.

That is what the other guy said to someone in another PC forum and I am not sure what that means.

Do I check to see if my current BIOS can update to that? And if they can do I update now or after I get the graphics card, will it mess up anything?

Also if I cannot get the Zotac, are the 2.0 video cards just as good? I would assume not.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

That is what the other guy said to someone in another PC forum and I am not sure what that means.

Do I check to see if my current BIOS can update to that? And if they can do I update now or after I get the graphics card, will it mess up anything?

Also if I cannot get the Zotac, are the 2.0 video cards just as good? I would assume not.

I didn't find UEFI BIOS for that motherboard so stick with PCI Express 2.0 cards. On video cards, PCI Express 3.0 offers virtually no performance boost against PCI Express 2.0. In this case main point is the fact that every PCI Express 3.0 cards need also UEFI BIOS while PCI Express 2.0 cards work with "legacy" BIOS also.Most newer cards support PCI Express 3.0 just because price difference against PCI Express 2.0 is minimal. So your best bet is to look for used PCI Express 2.0 cards.

#5 nponthier

nponthier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

I didn't find UEFI BIOS for that motherboard so stick with PCI Express 2.0 cards. On video cards, PCI Express 3.0 offers virtually no performance boost against PCI Express 2.0. In this case main point is the fact that every PCI Express 3.0 cards need also UEFI BIOS while PCI Express 2.0 cards work with "legacy" BIOS also.Most newer cards support PCI Express 3.0 just because price difference against PCI Express 2.0 is minimal. So your best bet is to look for used PCI Express 2.0 cards.

Thanks for all the help but I think I am screwed. All of the 2.0 cards do not meet my gaming needs. I use game-debate to test different builds with the games I play.

I may just build a PC from scratch... but I am at a budget. Thanks again for the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users