Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb3 hard drive health warning pop up in 10 too fast to read,how to get back

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

I have a 2tb drive that is just over a couple of years old, and yesterday upon connecting, a 'warning' message popped up on windows 10 stating that the drive was in poor health, or similar. The message did not stay up on the screen for very long so I could not note the specific details. Where and what should I look for in the error log, to find out exactly what the problem was?

I did have crystaldisk running when the message occured, but I am certain it was a windows message as it used the default 'metro' style of the windows 10 interface. All I can find online is windows displaying 'hard drive failure imminent' on bad drives, but I do not think that was the exact message.

Thanks for any info.

The external drive will remain unused for now until I receive a new system. Hopefully that will give me time to copy everything over. The usb drive was only meant as a backup, but the laptop it was used on was running out of space, so some files are only on the external. It would seem some drives may fail within seconds of having the failure imminent message, others months, so if that was the message and I am mistaken, it sounds like I may need some luck. There was nothing too important on the drive, thankfully

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

I would set the drive aside until you are ready to copy your data. After the copy then run a disk diagnostic using Seatools for Windows. Do the short and long tests. Your most important data should be in two locations, one being offsite.

#3 thedarkness

thedarkness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, the drive is all boxed away. I have tried searching within the event viewer, filtering to only show warning or critical messages but I do not see anything in relation to it. I forgot about Seatools, so I'll keep note of that. Conveniently, my drive is also by Seagate. In my experience the only drive that have ever failed on me, was a differing model from that brand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users