Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ME - Start Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dukecan

dukecan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:34 AM

Need Some Help. I am running Windos ME. I can start my computer in Safe Mode every time, but when I try to start it up in Normal mode, it appears that everything is somehow being being filtered through the CD-RW drive. I am continually waiting for the drive light to go on, then it appears something is happening, then the start up shuts down again until the drive light comes on again, and so forth. This process can take as long as 5 minutes, but eventually I get a blue screen error message which and the sytem locks up completely. The messages often refer to vmd. or vxd. errors. I don't think it was a virus because I was running McAfee which was supposed to be monitoring the system contiinuously. I have tried System Restore. I have run complete Scandisks and Defragmented the C Drive while in Safe Mode. I have also reloaded Window ME twice, and talked with a Windows Tech guy by phone, all to no avail. I would run restore, but the restore proram is on a CD and the CD-RW drive will not work in safe mode. It could be spyware, but I don't use this computer very much for the Internet. Dows anyon have any ideas as to how to diagnose or perhaps correct this problem. Thanks. Ken Dugas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:02 AM

Post the exact error message you get.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dukecan

dukecan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:22 AM

Sorry. There have been a variety of error messages. The problem relates to home computer and I am currently at my office. When I get a cahnce, I will boot up my computer at home and try to to copy the exact error message, but as I said they are not consistent. Thanks for responding.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:03 PM

scanreg /restore works from the command line,but in this case it seems you have some corrupted system files (vxd relates to device drivers)
IIRC when you boot WinME in safe mode one of the choices is line by line confirmation.Use that to see which vxd fails.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 FearlezzAngel17

FearlezzAngel17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

hi
i need major help i dont know much of computers. i got a popup and i accidentally clicked on when i tried to close it but then something happened and i think someone is connected to my comp. i keep getting Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Abnormal Program Termination and when i click ok my comp shuts down and appears everytime i get on my computer i seriously dont know what to do. if anyone can help i would appreciate much..please email me at FearlezzAngel17@aol.com or IM me at FearlezzAngel17. i need help fast

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:58 PM

Are you running WinME? How long ago did you accidentally click on a popup?

#7 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

Also please post your specs.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:25 AM

FearlezzAngel17... U should remove your E-Mail and IM ID's. Please for your sake.

Edited by scarlett, 08 December 2004 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users