Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ubuntu user

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andedu

Andedu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

Hi I am new to his site.

Can you tell me the advantages of using Dos over other less seasoned operating systems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BaronCardinal

BaronCardinal

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

It seems to me that there needs to be more to this question.  Dos is going to be a fairly antiquated system.  Using it is fine if you understand the limitations.( My three and Five year old kids use it weekly to play older games, on a system that is hard for them to break)  It looks like you are more asking about what system might work well for your needs, and it would be helpful to know more about your expectations.  If you are looking to have a current system, I would say that dos probably won't fulfill all your needs. 

It looks like you are using Ubuntu, by your summary at the top?  If so Ubuntu is a great place to start with Linux, and there is a lot of information and a great support community for it.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

DOS was a very good operating system in its day and was the basis on which all early variants of Windows - up to Win 3.x - ran. The later versions particularly were excellent, DOS 5.00 and 6.20. With the introduction of Win 95 the use of DOS became less and less apparent although it is still there. The command line, for example, is pure DOS. Whether you can run DOS on a modern computer is a question to which I do not know the answer, I have never tried !  I know there are emulators to allow you to run it essentially as a VM and it would probably run in a VM like VMware but I don't know for certain about that.

If in fact, as the Baron points out, seeking information on Ubuntu and, as you are already a member of BC, why don't you have a look in the Linux section ?  There are some very well informes, and helpful, contributors there.

Chris Cosgrove

The woman in my life is dragging me away for the weekend coming. PMs may not be answered as quickly as usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users