Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ubuntu user

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andedu

Andedu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:58 AM

I am a total beginner to using Linux.
Why do I need to know how to us the terminal.
What are the first things I will need to know when using the terminal?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 May 2016 - 09:23 AM.
moved from Linux How-To and Tutorial Section to Linux & Unix support forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

Well the thing is.... you really dont need to use the terminal in linux if you dont want to.

The only reason most guides refer to the terminal is that its the most easy to refer to and the terminal is the most universal tool in linux.

Unlike windows there is more than one desktop interface, more than one way to install apps, and more than one way to use the OS.

This is both a good and a bad thing, on one hand you can cater linux to your needs (rather than microsoft forcing a standard on you) but on the other not have one universal approach to using the system .

The terminal however is the closet thing to having a universal standard for linux plus the terminal is such a powerful and versatile tool to use.

Not to mention its easier to refer to, than to say click here, click there, check this, hit that button, hit this button and install.

It can be rather drawn out compared  to say open terminal and type in apt-get install

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 May 2016 - 11:04 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

. . . total beginner . . .  do I need . . . the terminal . . . What . . . I will need to know when using the terminal?

Andedu,

Welcome to Linux.

If you have any questions, just create a new post here, and someone will help you.

Please be patient, as we are all volunteers, and have other things that take up our time, like work, school, &c.

In regards to your inquiry about terminal in Linux, check out this link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596388/a-simple-lesson-for-beginners-about-linux-terminal/

Cheers!

Naught.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

I am a total beginner to using Linux.

Welcome to the world of Linux.

Why do I need to know how to us the terminal.

You may run into some situations (troubleshooting is an example) where you need to do something that can only be done by terminal, because no-one has written a GUI application to do it yet. Sticking with a popular and user friendly distro will keep your terminal usage to a minimum, depending on what you use your computer for.

What are the first things I will need to know when using the terminal?

Depends on the distro. If you choose an Ubuntu based distro, you will probably see the command "sudo apt-get install package-name" (where package-name represents a program's package name), posted alot. This command is used to gain full permissions and install software. On most Ubuntu based distros you can install software graphically, but people often post this command instead since it's easier than taking screenshots, or writing "click this, then this, then that".

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

Welcome to Linux!!

There are some things in linux (as has been said) that you do need a terminal for. When you do basic use you probably won't need to touch it. As Hollowface pointed out, sometimes you will see commands that will need to be put into a terminal, don't be daunted by it, its very easy and if you are following instructions you won't mess anything up.

Like I said though, if you are doing basic functions of any OS, web browsing, emailing, word docs, etc. You won't ever really need to use that terminal. You can install apps through the app manager and also un-install them there.

What were you planning on using Linux for?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

Hi Andedu and :welcome: to BC and the Linux and Unix section.

Whether you ever use Terminal again is up to you, but the first thing you should do after installing Ubuntu is open Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T should work) and type

sudo ufw enable

and enter.

You will be prompted to enter your password, and in doing so, there will be no movement (security). Enter.

You will receive a message that your firewall has been enabled (for the session) and a script has been generated which will enable the firewall each time you boot or reboot.

Perhaps you could let us know if you are using Ubuntu Unity or MATE, or other, and the version.

Enjoy

:wizardball: Wizard

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:47 AM

Andedu,  :welcome: to the Linux Community of Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

We're happy to have you here, and will gladly assist you with your Linux issues. :thumbup2:

Wiz beat me to it above, no you're not required to use the Terminal, yet if you try just a little, will see that you can perform the things you need faster. Such as updates/upgrade of installed software. To do both in one shot, you'd type in (or copy/paste (w/out quotes) 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade; does both in one sweep. Yet I prefer one at a time, so will do each separate, like this 'sudo apt-get update', then 'sudo apt-get upgrade'. And my root password would apply to either choice. 

So while you're not required to use the Terminal, though Wiz & many of us recommend the enabling of the ufw Firewall at every boot, and it's simple to do w/out downloading software. In fact, for the first two years, never touched the Terminal, now see it as my personal digital assistant. Eventually you'll find a software that requires the Terminal to be used to install, yet you can cross that bridge after you've gained experience. :)

Good Luck with your Linux install! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users