Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

listening to 2 differnet UDP transmitters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FreddieG

FreddieG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:05 AM

I have 2 devices which transmit NMEA data via wifi using UDP. One is fixed to port 55554, also the SSID is fixed. The other one I can configure freely.

Can I configure the 2nd device to use the same SSID and port?

I want to receive on my my Raspberry to connect to this SSID and listen for NMEA sentences from both divises - or will I have to use 2 different wifi networks listen to different UDP ports?

Pls advise - thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

"Can I configure the 2nd device to use the same SSID and port?"

Yes to SSID but no to the same port.  If you can set it to listen on a different port like 55555 and point to that port/ipaddress in the router, that will work.

The ssid isn't what matters.  Its the device ip address and listening port /port forward in the router to the devices fixed ip addresses that matters

#3 FreddieG

FreddieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

thanks for swift advise!

port I understand but port/IPaddress I dont, Who assigns an IP to a UDP or do I set fixed IP addresses.

My device sending NMEA data is hardwired, so no configuration possible and it only shows the SSID not the IP address. When connecting to e.g. the iPad I have to configure 127.0.0.1 in e.g. iRegatta to get the data. Is there a command to get the private/public IP address from a UDP server?

will try tomorrow with OpenCPN 

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

You would control the ip address via the router by using ip reservations.  But if not configurable then you can't set the two feeds at different ports.  You will need to only connect to one at a time / you may need to turn one off/disconnect it to connect to the other one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users