Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail Merge And Large Paragraphs...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James_M

James_M

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Hi,

At the company I work for i am currently attempting to create a mailmerge that will put info into two seperate letters. (nice and simple so far)

However, in the letters there are two paragraphs (of a fair size) that need to vary depending on the information relating to the addressee.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way in which i could include these as a drop down selection in the data source? (or something simillar, perhaps getting word or excel to substitue the paragraphs for a certain value?)

So to give an example. Imagine to paragraphs are as follows

1. We enclose an invoice for your consideration.

2. An invoice has already been sent to you under seperate cover.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? If you want further clarification I will be pleased to provide it on request.

Many thanks,

-James M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maryannatwork

maryannatwork

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

I would like to be able to do this also. i.e. Your student, <name>, has been accepted into the <title> program. Then some specific info related to program, then remainder of standard letter.

#3 knotty panda

knotty panda

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

James, you want to be able to hit merge and let it do it's thing. On small stand alone word processors like Word, they really can't handle the large paragraphs without some programming.

Sort your list into groups and revise the target letter for each group, then merge. Yes, more merges, but less headaches.

Maryann:

What you need to do is insert fields into your database which then merge with each letter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users