Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What Is Your Favourite Graphical Download Manager?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:04 AM

Thought we could discuss download managers. Specifically graphical ones which supported segmented downloads (allowing for faster downloads). Personally I favor MultiGet, but it isn't available in the Ubuntu 16.04 repos and compiling from source on Lubuntu 16.04 was a bust. I really don't need a download manager under Linux as I do nearly all my downloading under Windows using Orbit Downloader (love that program), but it's still nice to have a download-manager handy sometimes, so I'm keeping my eyes open for MultiGet alternatives. Eager to see which download managers others are using. I know several people here like DownloadThemAll. Personally I prefer my download manager to be browser independant as I don't always necessarily have a web browser installed. I know UGet is getting quite popular these days, but I've used it in the past, and it doesn't meet my needs, though I get why people like it so much. I looked into FatRat ealier today. I've never tried that one, but I may have to as it sounds great. FlareGet Free is supposed to be good, but I'd like to avoid it since it's a free version of a paid product. I've tried Xtreme Download Manager, it doesn't meet my needs. I really like that it is available as pre-compiled download for distros in general. I'm in the process of downloading wxDownload Fast, but given it's dependence on wxWidgets I suspect I won't get far with it.

So which graphical download manager are you using, and why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:13 AM

I don't really use one as I don't download much, If I need to DL a Linux ISO I use a torrent, other than that I just use Firefox.

#3 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:13 AM

I have no need for it because I see no advantage in using them...  :wink:

I hit my max ISP download speed through any browser I use and cannot remember the time when I've got a corrupted download... Linux ISO's I download (mostly) via torrents and those have their own "hash" check!

People with slow internet and/or packet loss may see this different!

Greets!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thanks to cat1092 I use DTA, and wish I had listened to him right off.  This is going to be the best for a beginner imo.  It is quite easy to use and even easier to install (Maybe not at first) but all in all it is pretty easy.  I tried a few and none were AS easy as DTA.

1.  It's a Firefox add-on.

2. You can Pause it and restart next time you boot up, or it will stop on it's when a Internet connection goes wanky.

3. Has a built in Hash Checker.

4. Has adjustable download speed, and makes downloads up to 400% as fast if I remember right.

http://www.downthemall.net/

Features:

http://www.downthemall.net/howto/features/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

Has adjustable download speed, and makes downloads up to 400% as fast if I remember right.

No, If you have a say 10mbs connection it will stay at 10 mbs regardless of what you do, You maximum download speed it limited by your ISP and cant be changed by some plug-in. 

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Download managers were great when we were all using POTS on 56kbps. Being able to re-initiate dropped connections was priceless.

So glad times have changed.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:08 PM

Has adjustable download speed, and makes downloads up to 400% as fast if I remember right.

No, If you have a say 10mbs connection it will stay at 10 mbs regardless of what you do, You maximum download speed it limited by your ISP and cant be changed by some plug-in. 

Download can be reduced right?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:40 PM

Nick is part right, you can not exceed the max speed of your isp connection.  However you can adjust the download speed within that range foe DLA.

Only way I can get a successfull download on my near dial up connection at all.  Benn useing it almost a year now.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:52 AM

Seems, like MultiGet, FatRat used to be in the Ubuntu repos, but no longer is offered. Seems like the list of current download-managers is getting smaller as time goes one. No luck getting either WxDownload Fast or FatRat up and running by compiling from source.

@GNULINUX

People with slow internet and/or packet loss may see this different!

That's me :P. I always use a downloader or download-manager that is capable of auto-retries when I'm downloading large files, because sometimes my downloads get interrupted. My internet isn't great, and it doesn't help that I use WiFi too.

@NickAu @pcpunk

You are both right. DTA offers faster downloads (in some cases), but it cannot increase your internet connection's max download speed. Download speeds are mostly controlled by the user's max download speed, and server's max upload speed (server may impose restrictions per connection). Which-ever is lowest will result in the max speed of the download. If the user's download speed is the barrier, then nothing can be done (aside from compressed man-in-the-middle delivery). If the server's upload speed is the barrier then, if the server allows such activity, multiple connections (segemented downloading) can be used to decrease download times by downloading portions of the file in parrallel. This is what tools like MultiGet, DownloadThemAll, and etc do. Some download managers also support using mirrors in combination with segments to increase speeds.

In regards to my comment about "compressed man-in-the-middle delivery", it sounds like Opera's Turbo Mode is an example of this, though it's not aimed at file downloads, and sounds like it does some other forms of lossy reduction as well. I've never used it myself, even when I used to be an Opera user.

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

I have a 80Mbps download speed on Comcast (use to have a 180 down speed... man that was nice). So I typically just download whatever it is through the browser. As with Nick, I usually use Torrents for Linux ISOs so I use the default Torrent downloader in Ubuntu.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:24 AM

I have a 80Mbps download speed

I'm very jealous. You must get Linux ISOs in minutes, not hours.

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

I have a 80Mbps download speed

I'm very jealous. You must get Linux ISOs in minutes, not hours.

Typically yes. I can download a gig in about 2 minutes or so, on a torrent its even faster. It makes it nice for when I download large gaming files. These newer games are 50GB file sizes!! I can usually download that much in about an hour or so if I remember right from the last time I did a download that big.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:36 AM

I'm currently using Down Them Atl (aka DTA) as my only download manager, and while somewhat true, the following doesn't always apply. 

You are both right. DTA offers faster downloads (in some cases), but it cannot increase your internet connection's max download speed.

At the time I had a 15Mb/sec download cap, was consistently hitting 2.0MB/sec on downloads when using DTA, Keeping in mind that I'm on cable Internet & not fiber-optic such as Version & AT&T offers, one can really milk their ISP for faster speeds with a decent download manager, and considering it's a Firefox add-on, makes it all the more impressive. If I were on AT&T or Verizon, chances are, the speed limit would had been enforced, as the ISP has more precise control over customers. Cable Internet is like a water faucet, like if one's on the shower & another flushes the toilet, OMG it gets Hot! :P

So in some instances, it can surpass the ISP speed one's paying for by another third. 1.5Gbps divided by 3 = 0.5. Adding 0.5Mbps to the top rated speed is a 33.33% speed increase & I was seeing this consistently, both on Linux & Windows. Now that it's been upped to 50Gb/sec (at no extra charge to me), Speedtest.net results are reporting in the 58Mbps/sec range consistent, and DTA has pulled in downloads at over 7MB/sec, in the wee hours, close to 8MB. For $52.99/month, not a bad deal. :thumbup2:

And before anyone asks, no am not using any speed enhancement software, nor have tinkered with the settings. The only thing I've done, and that was over two years back, was used a Cat7 network cable to connect modem to router & Cat6 for all computers connected, other than my VoIP device, which also has Cat7. Should the cable techs has to come, will replace all with Cat5e, have an emergency plan for when techs are needed, so when they made adjustments, all were on Cat5e cable (would has used Cat5 if I had some :P)  Why not upgraded cables, purchased all of these Cat6/7 cables for less than one 15 feet long Cat5e one at Walmart, selling tech of the prior Millennium. Gigabit connections are today's standard, and requires Cat6 to deliver. Cat7 is designed for industrial use, to block out noise, yet consumers can benefit also, say like from BT, wireless, microwave output & as soon as I can afford it, will replace my Cat6 cables one by one when on promo for 7 & 10 feet lengths. Plus they're designed to be incredibly easy to remove. 

I don't recommend 1 foot Cat7 cables to replace a 1 foot Cat5e/6 cable, because Cat7 is braided & thick, 2 feet won't cost much more than one & will be more flexible. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

Was checking out Kget, but it seems to impose a limit of 5 connections max. :(

wyBO51N.png

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

Then Kget offers the same as DTA, recall having 5 connections max going at one time in it's simple configuration. 

Still worthy of having though, especially on a browser other than Firefox. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users