Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Booting Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JrSadFish

JrSadFish

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:45 AM

Hello,

I built my custom computer about 4 months ago, and it's been smooth sailing ever since now. I turned on my computer and the monitor displayed the message "no input" so I fiddled with the DVI input on the monitor itself, unplugged the HDMI from the back of the computer, then did a hard power reset to restart the computer. Upon pressing the power button to boot it up, the fan LED lights turned on for a brief split second, the disk drive made a short whirring noise, then everything turned off. It would do this every 3 seconds until power was directly cut off. I tried to troubleshoot the problem and could only think it would be either the motherboard or the power supply. The CPU fan would also turn on briefly too, suggesting the motherboard has power. I also tried other power cords and the same issue happens. I'm at the loss right now, any help would be greatly appreciated! Here is a video I took demonstrating the issue: https://youtu.be/FeUe5JyaYgI

Edited by JrSadFish, 10 May 2016 - 12:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

Do you hear the short beep at startup? I think it could be your PSU if all connections are done properly.

You can also read:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/306166-31-fans-turn-computer-boot

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

What operating system are you running?

If you aren't getting to the BIOS at startup you may have a peripheral devices failing to pass in the POST. 

Have you gone back and  checked all of your connections?  Power connectors, data connectors, GPU, RAM, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JrSadFish

JrSadFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

Do you hear the short beep at startup? I think it could be your PSU if all connections are done properly.

You can also read:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/306166-31-fans-turn-computer-boot

No short beep, there isn't a speaker that came with the case that is able to be plugged into the motherboard. Also it doesn't seem like it even gets to a startup sequence, it just stops dead upon being powered up.

What operating system are you running?

If you aren't getting to the BIOS at startup you may have a peripheral devices failing to pass in the POST. 

Have you gone back and  checked all of your connections?  Power connectors, data connectors, GPU, RAM, etc.

I am running Windows 10. Yep, I unplugged everything except for the power running to the motherboard, CPU heatsink and fan, and PSU power cord to the wall power socket. Even then it still has the same problem, so I'm thinking it's either a faulty PSU or motherboard.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

With the PSU unplugged and the switch turned off remove the 24 pin power connector from the motherboard.

Take either a small gauge of wire or a paperclip and place it between the green wire in the connector and any black wire.

Plug the power cord back in and turn the switch on.  

This bypasses the motherboard which normally initiates the start of the PSU.  If the PSU is working the case fans should come on and stay on.

Edit:  If you have a volt meter you can check the 3.3V (orange), 5V (white), and 12V (yellow) rails.

Edited by dc3, 10 May 2016 - 12:12 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users