Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No luck with printer on linux or ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 daveycrockett

daveycrockett

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

To start my little saga - a couple of days ago I attempted to install Ubuntu to run along with Win10 (due to constant problems with Win10) not my pc's fault, its dual core 2.2 ghz and 4 g ram, 500 gig hd. Upshot of that is that I lost Win10. So, I've been trying to run a basic canon image class printer (mf4570) and I have had zero luck getting it to print off of linux lite, no luck with Ubuntu 16.04 either. I get a list of drivers when I connect to the pc, but the particular model of printer is not on their list so I checked generic. It does not seem to me that any drivers are installed but when I select Ctrl P it shows a progress bar and recognizes the printer, but nothing prints. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:26 AM

Cannon printers and linux are problematic sometimes especially some older printers (thankfully these days canon plays much nicer with linux)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2091209

This forum post  is a bit dated but  most of it should still work for you though

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

Good luck with this. Pre-wireless linux drivers are not very good especially for all-in-one printers. You wind up needing drivers for each individual function.

1 for the scanner, 1 for the software interface sometimes even firmware.  If you have a fax it needs one for that also.

As madman says they are doing a lot better on their wireless support.  Altho some say they are not fully implemented yet. But that is not many.

Back to trial and error.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

I've downloaded a driver off the canon site for my printer and my linux operating system. My question is - now what? Is the driver supposed to run the printer after this because I am still getting no place with running the printer?

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

It should help install the driver, though how far it goes I am unsure.

Again cant blame linux for some issues like this, perhaps its time for a new printer?

I know that may be annoying and printers can be pricey but it may be needed

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 May 2016 - 01:57 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

The printer is less than 2 years old. I dunno, seems kind of lame to go out and buy another one, if it were ink jet I might but this is a laser.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

@daveycrockett, unfortunately, you are experiencing one of the drawbacks of Linux, i.e. compatibility issues.  Whereas it's practically plug-and-play with almost any peripheral in Windows, it just isn't the same in Linux.  Although things have been improving, peripheral manufacturers simply do not support Linux as they do Windows.  I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the truth.

Edited by Agouti, 10 May 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#8 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

@daveycrockett, unfortunately, you are experiencing one of the drawbacks of Linux, i.e. compatibility issues.  Whereas it's practically plug-and-play with almost any peripheral in Windows, it just isn't the same in Linux.  Although things have been improving, peripheral manufacturers simply do not support Linux as they do Windows.  I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the truth.

Thx - sort of what I expected. I am going to have to get Win7 back and upgrade once again to 10 - I don't think much of win10 but short of someone coming up with an end run around some of these issues with peripherals, It looks like I don't have an option.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,114 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

I've downloaded a driver off the canon site for my printer and my linux operating system. My question is - now what? Is the driver supposed to run the printer after this because I am still getting no place with running the printer?

You will need to install the driver first, though I cannot help with that.  Does LinuxLite - or whatever you are using - show that the driver is installed, the same one you donwloaded?  If so, then Delete the Printer from the Printer Manager (or whatever it is called in LL) and maybe even reboot and reinstall/add printer to see if it then works.

If you can follow directions well, take a look at this link.  Or wait for some better help, someone might come along that can help you install that driver.  Looks as though you might not get all the functions that you would in Windows, but you should be able to print.  This link might also help someone help you, note that there is an Ubuntu link in this post also.

It might be best to wait for help so you don't make a mess of it, it's usually easier to just install then to fix.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/printing-and-scanning/missing-printer-driver-error-message-for-canon-image-class-mf4570dw-printer/

Edited by pcpunk, 10 May 2016 - 10:31 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

Indeed, be patient and follow instructions.

Besides there is more than one distro and one can work with your printer

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 May 2016 - 11:18 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:48 PM

You will need to install the driver first, though I cannot help with that.  Does LinuxLite - or whatever you are using - show that the driver is installed, the same one you donwloaded?  If so, then Delete the Printer from the Printer Manager (or whatever it is called in LL) and maybe even reboot and reinstall/add printer to see if it then works.

If you can follow directions well, take a look at this link.  Or wait for some better help, someone might come along that can help you install that driver.  Looks as though you might not get all the functions that you would in Windows, but you should be able to print.  This link might also help someone help you, note that there is an Ubuntu link in this post also.

It might be best to wait for help so you don't make a mess of it, it's usually easier to just install then to fix.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/printing-and-scanning/missing-printer-driver-error-message-for-canon-image-class-mf4570dw-printer/

Sounds like useful info - I will get on this and thanks much for the link.

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

In my case even tho I really can not afford neither a new printer or a more powerfull pc I am seriously looking at my budjet to do just that.

Most of the 15 printers I have researched like a min of 1.2 Ghz processor to run the printer at all.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,114 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

@daveycrockett, Found the instructions that you need, scroll down to: 

Installation of the Printer Drivers: Method 2

At this link, Follow Directions Carefully.  I will do the install too later today or tonight, busy now.

You will need to Install "GDebi Package Installer" first, but is included in many distro's.

https://wiki.debian.org/PrinterDriver/Canon/UFR-II

Edited by pcpunk, 11 May 2016 - 09:03 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

If the above don't work my suggestion would be to ask for help with this issue at ubuntu forums they have more experience with these things and may be able to cobble something up for you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

#15 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

If the above don't work my suggestion would be to ask for help with this issue at ubuntu forums they have more experience with these things and may be able to cobble something up for you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

Thanks - I was on the ubuntu help forum and they seem to be stumped - I find you guys have been more helpful overall, I'm gonna try this latest link from pc punk..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users