Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help uploading big files with resume option

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Helpito

Helpito

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:04 AM

Hello:

I friend of mine needs to upload several big files (videos around 20 gb each) so I can download and work with them. Now, the issue is that his Internet connection is slow and he can't leave the PC on during night, so we need a program that can resume the file. He tried with Google Drive but it restarts from zero. The files are .mpg

Do you know how this can be done? If I have to pay for the space (cloud) no problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

Make a torrent and agree the hours when you're both going to be online... It's just as slow but at least you both can resume after a recheck.

Sending an USB via snail mail is maybe a better and faster option?

Hope this helps!  :wink:

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

several big files (videos around 20 gb each)

Thats a Movie Bluray for that size , hope you have a fast PC to work on them...

But as  GNULINUX stated , i think USB { Bubble Wrapped } is the go and maybe by a Courier to get it On Time.

Aussie Post ? May never get there.

#4 Helpito

Helpito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:27 AM

Make a torrent and agree the hours when you're both going to be online... It's just as slow but at least you both can resume after a recheck.

Sending an USB via snail mail is maybe a better and faster option?

Hope this helps!  :wink:

We don`t need to be online. He has to upload the files. Once in the server, I can download them without any issue.

The USB or many DVD's would be the last option as we are in different continents and I wanted to avoid the Customs issue specially if they are going to verify the info.

Thanks.

#5 Helpito

Helpito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:29 AM

several big files (videos around 20 gb each)

Thats a Movie Bluray for that size , hope you have a fast PC to work on them...

But as  GNULINUX stated , i think USB { Bubble Wrapped } is the go and maybe by a Courier to get it On Time.

Aussie Post ? May never get there.

I find incredible that in 2016 there is not an online solution for that.

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

We don`t need to be online. He has to upload the files. Once in the server, I can download them without any issue.

You need to be both online, there is no server with torrents... and since he will be the only seeder, he has to be online for you to be able to download anything... Read more about how torrents work here:wink:

There is one... faster and better internet for everybody! It's a sad story about ISP's and $$$...  :wink:

Greets!

#7 Helpito

Helpito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

You need to be both online, there is no server with torrents... and since he will be the only seeder, he has to be online for you to be able to download anything... Read more about how torrents work here:wink:

Ahh ok, so then this option is impossible. Yeah, I have idea what torrent are, I used to download mp3 with a software that had to close by law requirement, I don`t remember it name and lately Pirate Bay  :guitar:

There is one... faster and better internet for everybody! It's a sad story about ISP's and $$$...  :wink:

Greets!

Thank :-)

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

I used to use GetRightPro.  It had a great resume feature -- as long as the involved servers did not mind [read: did not dork with] such operations.  I believe one can find a similar utility more designed for Windows 7-10.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:29 PM

Ahh ok, so then this option is impossible. Yeah, I have idea what torrent are, I used to download mp3 with a software that had to close by law requirement, I don`t remember it name and lately Pirate Bay  :guitar:

I just want to say that nothing is wrong with using torrents.  Just because BitTorrent is widely used to pirate media, it doesn't make the technology itself bad or illegal.  There are many legitimate uses for torrents.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

How much RAM would one need to have in order to work on ONE 20 GB video file?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users